We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

Hello and apologies in advance if this question has been asked many times,

we are visiting over Labor Day weekend. Arriving late on 30 Aug and fly out on 3rd Sept. I have booked the Marriott Coronado but now having second thoughts. We are looking for something a bit central but will have access to a car. We have been looking at LaJolla but not sure if it is too far out. it looks quite nice with the beach.

Where would you recommend? it will be a birthday celebration. We are hoping to spend approx. $300+ per night. Is the Marriott in La Jolla walking distance to the beach? is there any alternatives near the beach that are not quite $500 per night?

We thought it might be easier at the Marriott to visit the 'centre' without having to drive into the city? not really sure if this is correct?

Also are the leopard sharks still around? we do love the beach and snorkelling. will it be too cold to do such activities?

many thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

The Coronado Marriott will be a lovely location for you.

The Marriott in La Jolla is nowhere near the beach!! You can use Google to see locations and distances. You have left it kind of late to find lodging for Labor Day weekend which here in the USA is the last bank holiday of the summer.

I don't know prices right now or availability.

La Jolla Shores has only 2 hotels on the sand and then 1 a short walk away from the ocean. These are :

La Jolla Shores Hotel, La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and then the walk to the beach from Hotel La Jolla at the Shores.

The beach with the most hotels is Pacific Beach. The 2 most modern would be the Pacific Terrace or Tower 23(no pool). Others nearby include the Blue Sea Beach Hotel and the Ocean Park Inn, This neighborhood is just south of La Jolla Cove so easy to drive there for a visit during your stay. As long as you have a car you can get around easily to all activities within 20min.

There is nothing wrong with your Coronado Marriott location!! I'd just keep that if I were you!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

thanks for your advice. i do have quite a good rate. I am naturally a beach person so when i saw that there were possibly leopard sharks i was tempted by the location.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

You will easily be able to drive to La Jolla to spend time there.

I live nearby. It only takes about 20-25min. to get there from your location and parking is free on the city streets and in the beach parking lot. Labor Day weekend is a busy time but if you go either early in the AM or in the late afternoon you should be able to park.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

I've stayed at both those hotels and would choose the Coronado Marriott every time. It's a nice hotel in a great location. Coronado itself is really good and you are a short drive over the bridge to the rest of SD. The LA Jolla Marriott is more of a business hotel located in a business park near a mall, inland from the ocean.

5. Re: Where to stay? is coronado or la jolla more central?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:17