We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

We are hoping to fly into Long Beach and spend two days in LA/Hollywood area. I have three older boys (18, 20 & 22) so not sure what will appeal to them. tMaybe one day in Hollywood, another in Malibu area? Any suggestions would be great.... Also my husband wants to go the an Angels/Red Sox game in Anaheim. I have read it is easier to get there from Laguna area than LA - is this true? If so, we'll plan accordingly. From there we will go to Laguna Beach area for 3 days. Then drive up the coast through Big Sur ending in San Jose for our flight home. We will be in CA for exactly one week. Does this sound like a good plan or our we going to be spending too much time driving. Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
34,983 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

Sounds good, do you want to go to Disneyland? You will love Laguna Beach, what is your budget for lodging? We have enjoyed nice stays at The Montage, Hotel Laguna, Casa Laguna Inn and the Laguna Reef Hotel. This is a beautiful area of the Southern CA coast. Have a great trip! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

Yes, it is easier to get to the Angels-Red Sox game coming from the Laguna Beach area than from LA/Hollywood. But I don't know if it makes sense to fly into Long Beach, drive north to LA/Hollywood, south to Laguna Beach, then reverse directions again towards Big Sur. Seems more logical to start the trip in Laguna Beach, then make your way north.

If you're wanting to spend one of those LA/Hollywood days near/at a beach, I'd suggest Venice and/or Santa Monica rather than Malibu. Or did you have some other reason for Malibu?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

While Laguna is a lovely place, if Anaheim is your destination and you want to be in a location easily accessible to other areas, I would look at Huntington Beach and Newport Beach as they are much closer to the freeways than Laguna Beach and farther north. You can easily visit Laguna Beach from those locations. I also think your three young adult sons would prefer the Huntington Beach Main Street Pier area or Balboa/Newport Pier area to Laguna, which is more of an adult destination.

If you give us a general lodging budget, we can give you appropriate suggestions. With 5 family members, needing 2 rooms, I would never recommend the Montage at $700 per night per room minimum to someone who did not say that price was not an object. Also, the Montage would be a bit stodgy for your sons.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

I agree with Mistletoe that Santa Monica/Venice would be a better destination for your sons than Malibu. There is little to do in Malibu and VERY few lodging choices.

You didn't say when you were coming but please consider that LA and Hollywood are extremely hot in August and September. You would probably be more comfortable staying in Santa Monica and driving into Hollywood and Universal Studios just for the day.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

I also think if you are flying into Long Beach it makes sense to head south first to Orange County, and then hit Hollywood on your way out of town. You might even get away with spending only one night in Hollywood, rather than two, if you start in Orange County. Then after your second day sightseeing in LA/Hollywood (if you aren't too tired), you can head out toward Ventura or thereabouts for the next night (but do this after about 7-8pm or you will be stuck in traffic!). This puts you on the beach and also you won't be facing morning commute traffic. If you can make it to Santa Barbara so much the better.

There isn't any real reason to go to Malibu, if you want to see a surfing beach you can check out Huntington Beach or Newport Beach's "Wedge", and in fact might consider staying there rather than Laguna Beach as someone suggested (although Laguna Beach is very pretty and would appeal more to the parents).

Edited: 01 July 2010, 18:46
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

Your boys are at the age where thrill rides are a major attraction, so I would consider a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain, in Valencia, California, 30 minutes north of Los Angeles on Interstate 5. They have the largest number of roller coasters of any park in California. Frankly I think your boys would be bored with Hollywood and Malibu. I would take them to beaches in Orange County, such as Crystal Cove State Park, Huntington Beach, San Clemente or San Onofre. They may enjoy surfing lessons. It's true that southern California is hot in July and August, and even hotter in September, but much drier. September is a great month for southern California as the weather is still warm and sunny, yet the huge summer crowds of tourists are mostly gone.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

To bw92116's point, my kids, who are in the same age group as yours, much prefer Six Flags Magic Mountain to Universal Studios. Disneyland vs. Six Flags would be more of a toss-up for them, but there's no question that the better thrill rides are at Six Flags. As for Hollywood, their interest was mostly in the Walk of Fame, and they preferred walking along Rodeo Drive over that.

"I would never recommend the Montage at $700 per night per room minimum to someone who did not say that price was not an object."

I agree, LSCats, but have come to view those posts more as continually-repeated mini-trip-reports than actual recommendations. Could be wrong though.

8. Re: Does This Itinerary Sound Logical?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 07:44