We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Spring Break trip

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
College Spring Break trip

Hi! Hoping someone on this board can offer me some advice...

I am travelling to Southern California in mid-March with 3 of my friends for our college spring break. We are all 21-22 year old females. We are hoping to stay in several different hotels and work our way down the coast over a week in March.

We'd like to spend two nights in either Newport beach or Laguna beach. I was wondering if anyone on these boards have any suggestions for places to stay that are relatively inexpensive (ie. around $100/night), and close to the beach. We will be renting a car but once we get to the hotel, we hope to walk everywhere, so we'd like to stay someplace that has shopping, restaurants and bars within walking distance, preferably where other college-aged people hang out.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Seattle
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: College Spring Break trip

I like Laguna over Newport but you should visit both. Laguna is just more interesting and laid back. For spring break there are a lot of clubs in Newport to have fun. Laguna has a few as well, just not as many. For you I would say check out the White House and Club M. Both are within walking distance of two affordable beach front hotels, the Laguna Riviera hotel and Vacation Village, and both have live music. Either of these hotels should have something close to your budget. Vacation Village is larger so it has more rooms, but it's kinda run down. The Riviera is a much nicer boutique hotel but can be hard to get into because it is so popular. Both are on the ocean so if you can afford it go for an ocean view room.

The other thing Laguna has over Newport is you can walk to everything, shopping, food, bars and so on. Newport is spread out all over the place and you need to drive everywhere and deal with the parking issues.

Hope that helps some.