We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 3 - 7

Chicago
7 posts
Save Topic
June 3 - 7

Is it "Beach Weather" during this time? My wife and I are looking for a relaxing long weekend and she'd prefer being a beach bum for a day.

I was shocked to see that the average high is only around 70-71 which seems a little cool for the beach to me. I guess I'm hoping the sun or warm water still makes it a good time for the beach.

If we do decide that this would be a good time to come, I'm sure I'll be following up with more questions.

THanks

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,009 posts
5,928 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 3 - 7

Can you come in July or August? June suffers from June gloom syndrome.

What is June Gloom - you may be asking:

In general it is low clouds and fog that stick around Southern California till late June or early July.

You may get an exception - but its fairly reliable it will occur.

Chicago
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: June 3 - 7

Unfortunately this is our ideal weekend.

We may end up doing Miami instead because of the weather, but we've both been there and would really prefer southern California.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 3 - 7

I hope you still will consider California. How about a visit to Palm Springs? In the desert you won't experiemce the June Gloom and there are natural hot springs in Desert Hot Springs Hotel and Spa. There may be better hotels in the area, but you could visit for the day and soak and swim. And you can certainly lay in the warm sun at your hotel pool as well.

The main attraction in PS is the PS Aeiral Tramway where you get a 360 degree view as you ascend a mountainside to enjoy a forest - which should be cool but sunny - and return back down to desert when you desire. There is the occasional sunny morning and day along the coast of Southern CA in June, but it is chancy.

Edited: 27 April 2011, 06:22
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 3 - 7

Southern California's climate is decidely different from that of South Flordia. Water temps in June are just starting to warm up. There is a line of low hills/mountains that run along the SoCal coast. June gloom/the marine layer is generated as the inland areas warm up and it sucks in the cooler air from over the ocean. When that cooler air hits those hills it isn't able to rise over them and it clouds up.

OK. That's the technical info. What's that mean to you? It means that it may depend upon where you stay whether or not you have sun. For instance, I live in the center of Newport Beach, within sight of the ocean, and work 5 miles south near Crystal Cove. There are many days when it's sunny where I live yet Crystal Cove is socked in when I get there because the hills behind where I live are a lot lower than the hills above Crystal Cove.

Laguna is a terrific vacation site. If you only need one day at the beach drive north to Newport or Huntington where the hills are lower. It might not be all day but there's a chance you'll find some sun at the beach.

If you've been to Miami before you'll find Laguna beautiful and quite different.

Level Contributor
36,212 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 3 - 7

Laguna Beach is beautiful, we love spending time there. www.lagunabeach.com is a nice website for the area if you go. Enjoy your trip and your planning! :)

Chicago
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: June 3 - 7

I knew that the water would be cold and that the climates were different, but I was expecting upper 70s.

I think we're going to spend a few days to figure out if it's worth taking the trip at this time. Unfortunately, because of our schedules this is one of the only times we can take a long weekend this year.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm sure I'll be enjoying Laguna some day, just not sure when.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 3 - 7

June weather can actually be very unpredictable. We often do get very warm days. The "June Gloom" usually wears off by noon and afternoons are usually sunny. However, there have been years when June was very cloudy. The temperature on the sand is much cooler than just a half mile inland because of the breeze the comes off the ocean. So if you are seeing a temperature average taken at HB Pier, you can expect the temperature off the beach to be at least 5 degrees higher and usually more. The bottom line is that we cannot guarantee you all-day sunshine. But that does not mean that June is not a good time to be at the beach in Orange County.

Chicago
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: June 3 - 7

We booked our flight to Laguna for that weekend; however, when I was looking before it seemed that there were more affordable beach hotels. Anyone have any suggestions?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 3 - 7

'Affordable' is a nebulous term. It means a lot of different things to different people. Do you have a price range in mind?

To start the discussion I'll throw out a couple of hotels that have nice pools and easy access to the beach.

The Holiday Inn in Laguna is not your average HI. The rooms are smaller and it's on the 'inland' side of Coast Hwy. But the rooms are nicely furnished, the beach directly across from the hotel is just a short walk and down the steps. That beach is a smaller, sort of 'cove' beach, and, to some people, feels almost like it's a semi-private beach. The other advantage here is that the hotel is built in a square with the pool area in the middle. If it's sunny but windy, you could spend time at the pool and be protected from the wind. About 2-3 blocks from the center of town (Laguna is fairly small) and you can park the car at the hotel and walk just about anywhere you may want to go. Should be a mini-fridge in the room and there's a grocery store across the street for snacks and beverages.

holidayinn.com/hotels/…

Take a look at the Inn at Laguna Beach. Great location. Smaller but nice pool (also with a windscreen) over-looking the beach. Walk down to the beach in about 1 minute. Also, walk just about any place in the village for dining, shopping, galleries and music.

If you were to stay here I would suggest that you insist on an oceanside room. The views are very nice but, mainly, the streetside rooms can be a bit noisy if you want to sleep with the windows open.

www.innatlagunabeach.com

For a digital visitor's guide: www.lagunabeachinfo.com

Level Contributor
36,212 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 3 - 7

If you want to stay right on the beach, The Hotel Laguna is reasonably priced, it is a historic hotel with your own private area of beach for hotel guests. They have lounge chairs and food and beverage service there also. The Hotel Laguna is walking distance to the shops and restaurants in downtown Laguna also. They have two restaurants on-site, The Terrace Cafe and Claes. We have dined at both, they are really good.

Another one we like in Laguna Beach is the TraveLodge there, we stayed when it was the Laguna Reef Inn. This property is right across the street from the beautiful Montage Resort, a gorgeous area of the coast. Have fun! :)