We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat pls

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
672 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat pls

Hi all

Hubby and I have 2 nights in Laguna Beach on Sun and Mon. From reviews on here I'm thinking of booking Nick's Laguna Beach for dinner one night. Any other recommendations for a decent dinner pls? $70 with wine and tip is our preference.

Thanks in anticipation!

Level Contributor
34,971 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat pls

There are lots of excellent places to dine in Laguna! We have not been to Nick's but have enjoyed great meals at Sundried Tomato Cafe, 230 Forest, Claes @ the Hotel Laguna (pretty oceanviews) and Ristorante Rumari if you like Italian food. If you like Mexican food, Las Brisas has a lovely outdoor patio with beautiful water views.

www.lagunabeach.com is a nice website for this area. Have fun! :)

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat pls

Don't know your age but Brussels Bistro might be a choice. On weekends it becomes a 'nightclub' around 10:00 PM but before that it's simply a casual restaurant.

Also. 230 Forest (both the name and address) might work but it may exceed your budget slightly.

Possibly, Sundried Tomato.

You can check there menus on their websites and see what you think.

www.brusselsbistro.com

www.230forestavenue.com

www.sundriedtomatoecafe.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat pls

Other places to consider would be

Kya http://www.kyabistro.com/index.php

Sorrento Grille http://sorrento-grille.com/

French 75 http://www.french75.net/ and

The Cottage www.thecottagerestaurant.com/

Edited: 08 September 2011, 20:14
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat pls

Rumari has major service problems and just average food.

Sorrento Grill has, sadly, closed and they haven't announced what or when they will have something new on that site.

Stay away from Las Brisas. Beautiful views but those same views are availabe for free in the park next door. Tourist trap with mediocre food, mediocre service but at premium prices. Tourists like it because they get enamored by the view but most locals know better than to waste their money there. If you want to go for a drink on the patio (shrug) that's OK but only if you are drinking wine, beer or something that comes directly from the bottle. Still, be prepared to pay upper market prices for it.

Actually, with the closing of Sorrento Grill and Five Feet, I'm a bit hard pressed to come up with an outstanding restaurant in your price range in Laguna.

Edited: 08 September 2011, 23:10
Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat pls

First, I've never been here, but the House of Big Fish gets goods reviews here on TA and on Yelp.

www.houseofbigfish.com

It doesn't appear to be a nice Friday night dinner kind of place, but maybe more like a Monday night place. The menu would fit your budget for sure.

Maybe one of the locals will chime in on this one.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat pls

Thanks Rem, I forgot that Sorrento Grille bit the dust.

I agree totally about Las Brisas, including the the recommendation to only buy what comes directly from the bottle. A friend of mine was there recently for a gathering and said the mixed drinks were really watered down and outrageously priced (especially given the mere splash of alcohol). It is definitely a tourist trap.

I ate at the Cottage two weeks ago so I assume it is still there. It was very good and reasonably priced.

Suggestions within the OP's budget out of Laguna Beach but close would be Sage in the Eastbluff area of Newport Beach (I was there last week so I'm pretty certain it hasn't closed) www.sagerestaurant.com/ and Pescadou Bistro on Newport Blvd. http://www.pescadoubistro.com/ (Sill good last month).

And I miss 5 Feet too!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat pls

I haven't tried Big Fish either, but one of my friends commented that the food was good but it was very loud.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat pls

According to various web sites, including Open Table, Chef Ryan Adam of Sorrento Grille will be re-opening the restaurant in late September as The Common Table, serving tapas and small plates and farm to fork entrees.

I hope somebody reports back soon after it opens.

I guess Sorrento Grille's last day was August 31 (So I'm not WAY out of date at least!)

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat pls

Yeah Cats, I'm on the old Sorrento Grille e-mail list and they promised to e-mail me with their new set-up. Their site is still up so you might be able to go on there, register and get an update as to what they are doing.

Rem

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat pls

I tried to sign on to the list but I guess it's no longer possible. Oh Well. You'll just have to keep us in the loop Rem.

And if anybody finds an old favorite closed or a new place open, please report back to us.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 04:22