We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know this is redundant, but...

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Texas
Level Contributor
222 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
I know this is redundant, but...

Flying into LA Friday and we want to take our daughter, who lives in west LA, and bf to Orange County Sat for lunch. Usually we stay up near Malibu, Venice but we really want to come south for the beauty there, too. Having not been to Laguna Beach in years, friends recommended Splashes. We would like good food (any type), casual unhurried atmosphere, but most important, having lived through a hideously(!) hot summer, we want to eat outside as close to the water as possible. A nice place to walk the beach nearby after lunch would be great. We're very flexible as to time, etc. Splashes our best bet? Thanks.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

Casual on the water. Another one for the beachcomber. This place is great. If you want someplace in laguna the beach house has a really nice atmohphere

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

Splashes is a good option for food, but not really for walking, it is about a mile south of Downtown. The Beach House is another good idea, good for walking. The Beachcomber is great, but remote, but it is pretty much on the beach. Las Brisas, if you eat in the bar, then you can walk Heisler Park or Main Beach Laguna.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

Another vote for Las Brisas, mostly for the location and views. Might also want to check out the restaurant at the Hotel Laguna, which is right on the beach.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

I think the Beachcomber Cafe in Crystal Cove would be great. You are practically eating on the sand, casual, quaint historic area, feels remote even though it isn't and a great stretch of beach to walk when you are done eating.

Level Contributor
34,203 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

If you want upscale , go with Splashes or The Loft @ Montage. For a casual meal, Terrace Cafe @ Hotel Laguna or Las Brisas are great choices. www.lagunabeach.com is a nice website for the area. :).

Edited: 16 October 2011, 01:25
North Texas
Level Contributor
222 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

Many thanks for all the great advice. Don't know what in the world we did before Trip Advisor....oh, now I remember - yikes! Some pretty scary travel memories :-)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

Another casual option with good food is the Cottage. www.thecottagerestaurant.com/

Good location and you have a view of the ocean from the patio.

Splashes and Montage Loft may be more fancy than you want (and more expensive). The other recommendations of Beach House, Terrace Cafe, and Beachcomber all fit the casual beach local criteria.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

I have a few other ideas kauai, but I dont want to put you on overload as you have some fine choices already

(imo)

Best choice:Loft at Montage- Incredible food, Excellent view and plenty of beachfront area to walk

Tie for 2nd: Las Brisas- Great food, Excellent view and city/park/ beachwalking

& Beachcomber- Good food, Incredible beach feel but limited choices for walking

Worst choice- The Cottage: unremarkable but acceptable food, few tables have a view, view is limited if you get a view table, POSITIVES -good walking options & reasonable prices if on a tight budget

North Texas
Level Contributor
222 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

Again, thanks to everyone for all your time and great advice. We've gone to Big Sur for years and what we're looking for is along the lines of Ventana dining deck/ Nepenthe (no beach walking, of course) versus Tickle Me Pink/Carmel - a place with drop dead views, good burger/seafood etc where you can wear jeans and a sweater and not suffer the overly precious decor, rushed/snooty wait staff, food descriptions you need a dictionary to decipher (we can find that every day 30 minutes away in Dallas!) - we don't mind expensive, we just want to have fun and the memory of a terrific day in California.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I know this is redundant, but...

For that jeans/great view/good food experience -- definitely the Beachcomber, Terrace and Beachhouse would fill the bill. Cottage is on the inland side of the highway so the view is distant but the food and service are good and the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed.

Las Brisas ONLY has a view. The food is unremarkable (It is owned by the company that owns El Torito) and the drinks and watered down and way over-priced. The patio is a popular happy hour spot for young singles. So locals don't recommend it for anyone else. The great view can be had by walking down the path behind the restaurant to the park and beach.

Get answers to your questions about Laguna Beach