We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

I am flying into LAX Dec 22 & must get to Laguna Beach. What are some options for me to get transportation to Laguna from LAX that won't involve too much hassle or time & any prices will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

You have posted dups on the TA forum. You can click on Report inappropriate content and have that post removed.

Easiest way does that mean fastest way ? Well in traffic depending on what time you arrive the easiest way would be to have a limo driver waiting for you and just get whisked away to Laguna Beach. Perhaps that will be expensive given it is 50 miles away. A cab will be a second option but will also be expensive.

Supershuttle is an alternative from the airport. Any of the van shuttles that go to Orange county will be able to take you there.

I presume you have tickets to LAX already. The closest airports to Laguna Beach are SNA or John Wayne Airport and Long Beach Airport which would save you money and time to get to Laguna Beach faster.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

The least hassle is to drive a rental car, next option is a shuttle, like SuperShuttle, after that it gets harder and more expensive.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

Kbi, is it just you alone? In such a case, the 'shared van' services (what the previous posters refers to as 'shuttles') would be an inexpensive option for you, relatively speaking. 'Shared vans' are, well, 'shared' with other passengers who will be going to other destinations. It will take extra time for the van to locate these passengers (at one of 9 terminals at LAX) and it will take extra time (perhaps) to drop them off before the van reaches your destination. This is why these conveyances are inexpensive -- because of the relative inconvenience and the amount of time consumed as others board and are dropped off.

It helps if you tell us your expectations. Do you want to arrive in a timely manner? Typical transfer time (via rental car or taxi) WITHOUT TRAFFIC (during 'low traffic periods') is about an hour. A 'shared van' can take twice as long (or longer) when you include the waiting time for the van to show up at LAX and the adding and discarding of your fellow passengers. Each passenger in YOUR party will be charged a fee to ride in the 'shared van'. That's why it's important to know whether you are traveling alone or not so that we can compare fares via the various options. What time of day will you be arriving? Where are you staying? (At a hotel? With friends? If the latter, can they pick you up from somewhere close to Laguna -- there are true shuttles that go from LAX to points like Disneyland or Irvine's Amtrak station).

In short, tell us more about your plans and what you're idea of 'least hassle' and 'short transfer time' means.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 17:20
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

Just to get the transit option on the board, not to recommend it: It's a 53 mile trip from LAX to Laguna Beach, fly to Orange County if you can.

The best thing would be the Disneyland Express from LAX to Disneyland, which runs every 30 minutes during much of the day (costs $22 per one way, $32 round trip). At Disneyland. you'd switch to Orange County Transit Authority bus 83 to Laguna Hills , which runs every 30 minutes (cost $1.50). Ask the driver where to get off before the end of the route, so you don't miss the bus to Laguna Beach. From that stop in Laguna Hills, you take line 89 to Laguna Beach (another $1.50).

The time in transit with these is about 2.5 hours, with waiting times (assuming a good connection in Laguna Hills), you're looking at about a 3 hour trip, no fun.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

I prefer Prime Time Shuttle to Super Shuttle. The two companies have comparable prices but I've had better service from PT. They don't insist on filling the van before they leave and will circle the airport no more 3 times.

Usually, they will leave with only a few passengers. Also, they tend to use separate vans for South OC beach cities. So my Huntington Beach van has never included anyone headed all the way to Laguna Beach (not to say that never happens though). For departure, PT I have often been the only passenger on PT or there have been one or two others. The last time I used a shuttle, Super Shuttle had a discount coupon promotion so I used it. Mistake.

The pick-up driver got hopelessly lost picking up another passenger and had no GPS. The other passengers had to nag him to call the passenger waiting. Some of the passengers were late for their flight check-in because of that. On the return, I waited over an hour for the van (although the curb dispatcher told everyone that they would have a van within 15 minutes).

After 70 minutes of waiting, when I heard him assure another person that all vans leave within 15 minutes, I told the potential passenger that I had waited an hour and 10 minutes and she went over to Prime Time. The dispatcher screamed at me for scaring a customer away. I felt no guilt and I will never use Super Shuttle again.

Another tip though -- If you are staying at one of the larger hotels in Laguna Beach, or even nearby, plug in the name of the hotel when you make your on-line reservation or give the hotel name when you make your phone reservation. Many of the hotels have negotiated a special rate with the shuttle companies.

6. Re: Easiest way to get to Laguna Beach from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:41