We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanfront Dining

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oceanfront Dining

HI all-

we will be in the area in April and are looking for a restaurant with a beautiful oceanfront setting...upscale or casual is fine -good drinks with a killer location and view of the Pacific. We are bringing friends and want to knock their socks off!

We have been to the area before and didn't really find a great place on the ocean - maybe because we were with the kids and they are picky eaters.

Tahnks for your suggestions..

T

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceanfront Dining

best place by far is the Beachcomber just a few minutes north of Laguna

thebeachcombercafe.com/_crystalcove/index-ap…

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceanfront Dining

Echo longboards suggestion of The Beach Comber (which is actually in Newport Beach). Park at the Los Trancos parking lot, on the inland side of PCH and either walk under PCH or take the shuttle directly to the Restaurant. Depending upon what time you go there you could stroll the beach or tour the historic cottages. (The website that longboard listed not only has a good video of the area/setting it also includes a good history of the area and the cottages, which traces its' history back to the silent film days----read it and you can tell your friends stuff that they don't know and they'll think you're a genious---if they don't already, LOL The area has been used for a numberr of movies). Don't forget to get your parking validated! Reservations suggested, although with the beach right there it's a pretty nice place to kill some time and work up an appetite.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 08:18
3. Re: Oceanfront Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 March 2012, 09:09
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oceanfront Dining

Mar 23, 2012, 4:41 AM

Another suggestion (in Laguna Beach itself) is the Beach House. I can't say that the food is Great! but it'll work if you are looking particularly for a 'setting'. Interesting history, as well. The setting is the former home of an old-time movie actor, Slim Summerville, who has a star on 'The Walk of Fame, in Hollywood. To me the best time to go there is during daylight hours (sunset in the summer is often the busiest) and sit on the outside decking where you can look through the boards at the waves rolling up on the rocks/beach below you. Breakfast is also nice there.

It is on the Ocean side of PCH and can be a little tough to find so look at their website for a map if you decide to go. Once again, reserrvations suggested if you are going during peak times of the day.

thebeachhouse.com/laguna-beach-restaurant.php

East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oceanfront Dining

I have actually been to the beachcomber - maybe I will try the Beach house this time ...any opinions on The Cliff in laguna beach ?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oceanfront Dining

If you want to know someones socks off look at Splashes at the Surf & Sand or The Loft at Montage. Also Clae's at the Hotel Laguna.

I'd go to Las Brisas before I'd go to The Cliff.

East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oceanfront Dining

Ha

I just made a reservation at las brisas before I read your post - ill also Che k out your other recs

Thanks so much !!!!!!!!

Level Contributor
34,203 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oceanfront Dining

Splashes, Claes, The Loft and Studio for fine dining. Las Brisas and The Cliff for casual. Have fun! :)

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oceanfront Dining

I agree on the Beach House, fabulous setting, I think the food is just average but I am not a fish guy

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oceanfront Dining

Cancel Las Brisas! They'll get enough Cattle that they won't even notice you're not there. In fact, if you do go, they most likely won't notice you either. The food and service is generally poor and the view is best from outside the restaurant and is free to anyone that takes the time to walk along the path. And, it doesn't meet your request for "oceanfront dining", it's on a hill with a path (where a lot of people stand in the sight lines) as well as a garden.

The best views right there are in the Laguna Beacht Museum of art. :-)

I've taken clients there and it didn't 'knock anyone's socks off. In fact I got so many complaints about the place that I stopped taking people there. Scott said it best in another thread that if weren't for the view, this place would be out of business. It was, and may still be (I've lost track of the parent companys' bankruptcy filing) in the same restaurantt group as El Torito (which some people think is nicer, better food and service and a better value than Las Brisas).

Get answers to your questions about Laguna Beach