We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Bryan, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

My husband and I booked a great deal to Laguna two weeks from now... We are 28 and 30, we would like to see a lot, we are active and will probably spend one day one the beach, stand up paddling, and one day doing who knows what... My main concern is what is the normal attire around here? Like on the beach? Out to restaurants? Walking around? I'd assume it may be different than the central Texas fall attire?!! Just curious.. I've never traveled to a "beach town" in the fall. Any help, advice, recommendations are GREATLY appreciated!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Beach wear (i.e. bathing suits, sundresses, shorts, tank tops, etc) at the beach so long as the weather stays hot. You'll need cover-ups over bathing suits and sandals/shoes to enter any business establishment if you come straight from the beach into a place to eat - remember - 'no shirts, no shoes, no service' .

Some younger confident women will wear bikini tops into really casual places to eat and pull on a set of shorts over the bottoms in the dead of summer. In October though things will have cooled down quite bit and you'll just be wearing shorts/tops because it will be too cold for bathing suits.

We call it 'California Casual' which means just about anything you want to wear - very few, if any restaurants, have required dress attire. If you have a specific restaurant in mind, look it up and see if they have any dress attire requirements.

At a minimum, October usually requires long pants and light to medium sweaters in the early a.m. or evenings because it gets pretty cool down there. Shorts/capris/ t-shirt tops are also normal during the day.

I would check the weather report just before you come out - and pack accordingly - we are expecting an El Nino weather pattern this year - which could mean anything - even rain.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Leave all the fancy stuff at home. You might as well not have it weighing you down because you'll never use it. Casual is the norm. For evening, bring a light sweater or jacket -- not for fashion --- for comfort. In the evening Sandals or fine but I would leave the flip/flops for day use. Remember that Laguna Beach is full of "shopping opportunities" so if you find that you are without something, it will be easy to find in the stores.

There is a twenty-something crowd that goes the Laguna Beach bars in the evening dressed in as little as possible even in the winter. Places such as the Rooftop Lounge at Casa del Camino are full of women in tiny sun dresses, 6 inch heels and no wrap in 50 degree weather. If you are that slave to fashion, it's up to you. But it certainly isn't necessary.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Layers are good - the temperature range can be quite high - cool mornings, warming during the day, and really cooling down after dark. And if there is a strong wind off of the water, it can be pretty chilly. I've seen plenty of cold tourists....it's not fun.

los angeles
Level Contributor
240 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

October in Laguna Beach is like mid-summer weather in other locations: hot and dry. Others are right that casual is key and it cools off at night, so you'll need a light jacket or sweater.

Bryan, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Everyone has been SOOO extremely helpful. I really was clueless but I have a good idea now! Thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Well it was 93 today...... I'd say wear as little as possible.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Southern California's weather is 2 months behind the schedule of other areas -- so in October we're usually experiencing the kind of weather other people have in August, although the days are shorter. Our ocean temperatures are warmest in Sept and Oct, so you're likely to really enjoy the beach. We are in the middle of an intense heat wave (October 3) that had temps in the 100s yesterday, but expecting a cooling trend down to the 80s over the next 10 days. It's a casual beach town but loaded with fashionistas who are quality- and brand-conscious. Think Prada bags and shoes to go with that bikini and cover-up.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Weather in October is unpredictable. This year we are having a late summer. It can ranges from 60s to high 80s or more. It's been in the 90s at Christmas, so I would say layering is the way to go. But, attire js very casual.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

Huh? "Prada bags and shoes with that bikini and cover-up." says ocnative.

I've got to tell you that I have never seen that in Laguna Beach - EVER. No I'm not blind. Maybe you'd see that at the Montage Hotel (although not when I've been there). Otherwise you are more likely to see non-brand jeans, tee shirts, cargo shorts, and generally casual "I don't give a damned" clothes. As I said before, the bar hopping 20 something set will wear very little even in cold weather but few of them can afford Prada.

10. Re: What to wear in October?!?! HELP PLEASE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2013, 10:18