We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic trip in Laguna Beach, CA

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Fantastic trip in Laguna Beach, CA

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and tips- LSCats abnd Scott!!

this is a fantastic place for all- singles. families, couples, retired, young and and married!!

I stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach from 8/22-8/26- check package prices- b/c I ended up with a free car rental and 20% off room...they have a free wine reception from 5-6 daily...

Arrival into SNA was a breeze- driving time 15 minutes.. ended up going to Las Brisas even though reviews from locals are poor -but I was tired and didn't want to venture to shuttle to Rooftop Lounge. I ordered guacomole/chips and a frozen 'rita.. it was great-s ervice was great until they took it all away when i went to take pics of sunset- when i returned they brought me another 'rita and more salsa/ chips and a free dessert- I was only charged for 1 'rita- manager came over and apologized..

Friday- since I am on CST up at 6AM every day .. I headed south at 7 am to Dana Point for Captn Daves whale watching tour- checked in then went to get a bagel at Coffee Importers- very good!

The trip was fabulouus- sunny day and nice temps- we saw pods and pods of dolphins and 5 or 6 blue whales! Highly recommend- website tells hhow much they see each day! $55/adult-NO refunds

Afterwards I hit 1,000 steps beach on way back- across from 9th ace on PCH!! very pretty and no crowds but ALOT of steep steps- 230 I think!

I went back to Main beach which was packed but walked the ocean...

Dinner was at 230 forest Ave- 6:30 reservation and it was FULL..People were walking up and noone could get in- MAKE reservations AHEAD of time..Tables are VERY close to each other but food, service, ambiance was lal great- had a madras tod rink and warm arugula salad and scallops with butternut squash risotto- $65 including tip- VERY good!! Afterwards I went to Maine Room for a drink and talked to a local guy for awhile...neat little neighborhod spot!

Saturday- woke up to a foggy day... I planned to go to the Art A Fair and Sawdust Art festival.. I headed there at 9:45- walked 1.5 miles- neat art - bought 2 pair of earrings and a cute skirt... ate hamburger/fries $10 at Tivoli in Art a Fair.. then I headed to Laguna Playhouse and bought a ticket to Britishmania that evening at 7:30...

Walked on beach-cleared around 2 then went to Sapphire for dinner at 6- I wasn't very hungry so i got a salad and lamb dumplings app- and a grapefruit cosmo- all for $55 with tip... Traffic was bumper to bumper bakc to hotel at 6:45.. Parked and walked to the playhouse- show was good!

Sun- LA Tour with Hoffy tours- He was FANTASTIC! HIGHLY recommend.. very knowledgeable and goes all over CA...We started in Venice beach, then to santa Monica then the LA hotspots- ate at Canter's deli- went downtown to olvera St... then he took me to Top of the World to see a view from above....ate a taco at Carmelita's before going to POM...I got there at 7:30 and walked around -alot of fine art... alof of people sitting around visiting with bottles of wine....

I thought the show was good but just wasn't sure what all the hype was about- a litle boring to me ...I am from the south and folks were cold and renting blankets... Must be nice....

Monday-i walked on beach and left aroudn 10 and heaed to Newport beach- parked and walked to end of street and took of photo of the bay area... then i ate an early lunch at Cafe Pannini... ver y good- wanted to hit Beachcomber but decided I didn't want to risk it with a flight ... got to airport in plenty of time!!

This place is awesome and was exactly what I was looking for- Please ask ?'s but the folks here helped me with the whole trip... I didn't eat lunch out b/c I wasn't really hungry on Friday and Saturday i ate at Tivoli for convenience- hate that I missed Rooftop Lounge...

I am now home missing the view, food and weather-:(:(

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fantastic trip in Laguna Beach, CA

Thanks for the report. We're pleased to hear that you had a good time.

Thanks for the lowdown on the Hoffy tour. Sounds a lot better than the usual "stars homes" rip-off tour.

Rooftop is nice but you certainly got plenty of great views and good cocktails.

POM has had mixed reviews this year. Sorry it was a bit of a drag.

'Til next time - - -

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,473 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fantastic trip in Laguna Beach, CA

Thanks for the TR, nice details.

Funny you went to Coffee Importers, that is where my dad and his cronies hang after surfing at Doheny. If there was a loud group (they are all deaf) of octogenarians nearby, that was them :)

Hopefully you'll come back and see the stuff you missed.

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fantastic trip in Laguna Beach, CA

Glad you enjoyed your time in Laguna! We also love 230 Forest and Las Brisas. I love the way LB presents their guacamole and the views are incredible from the dining room and outside patio area. Thank you for the report back. :)

4. Re: Fantastic trip in Laguna Beach, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 05:18