We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montage or Ritz?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Montage or Ritz?

Planning a 4 day visit mid-March. Looking for property with great service, ocean view (or ocean front) with spa. Want to experience great food & drink without leaving property. Are these properties my best choices?? Will be staying at Rancho Valencia prior to coming to Laguna Beach. Also, is dress resort casual?? Or more upscale. Appreciate any input!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montage or Ritz?

The resorts you mention are both beautiful resorts with outstanding service and accompanying high prices.

You can't go wrong with either one, as long as your budget is very large. Resort casual is fine. No ties required. However, I believe the Studio, the formal restaurant at the Montage, has a loose "dress code:"

From their web site: " Upscale - elegant attire and please no shorts, athletic apparel or flip-flops permitted. Jacket & tie for gentlemen are optional."

Orange County...
Level Contributor
68 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montage or Ritz?

I think part of it depends on where you want to be and what you plan to do. The Montage is definitely closer to Laguna Beach itself. The Ritz Carlton is a bit farther south - in Dana Point.

I have not yet stayed at the Montage but the Ritz was very nice and I love going there for a drink and dinner. Both have amazing views.

You really can't go wrong.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montage or Ritz?

You might also want to check out Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach. Ocean Views with a shuttle to the beach. They have the most luxurious and specious rooms. www.pelicanhill.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montage or Ritz?

Agree with the Pelican Hill recommendation.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32780-d1146335…

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montage or Ritz?

The Montage is our favorite West Coast resort. It is truly amazing! We have enjoyed 2 great stays there. Last month we were there for lunch. :)

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montage or Ritz?

I would go in this order

Montage

Ritz

Pelican'

St Regis

but all are super nice

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montage or Ritz?

Another property that you might like in the area if you want to stay on property, the Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes.

http://www.terranea.com

I would opt for the Terranea if you don't care what is around you over the Ritz and the Montage. And I would rate the Ritz over than the Montage.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montage or Ritz?

I would not recommend the Terranea due to its isolation. The OP desires good on-site restaurants but at the Teranea you are virtually captive to them because it takes a good 30 minutes to drive off the property to anything else.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montage or Ritz?

The OP stated >>Want to experience great food & drink without leaving property. << And to me, that is the Terranea.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montage or Ritz?

All of the other resorts have great food and drink on the property too Darkbeer.