We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritz v. Montage

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
468 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Ritz v. Montage

Would love to stay at the Montage, but at the time we are going the Ritz is about half the price per night.

Some of the reviews of the Ritz mentioned that the hotel is showing its wear.

Worth the price to splurge on the Montage, or is the Ritz still a good choice?

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ritz v. Montage

We love The Montage! :).

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ritz v. Montage

The Ritz Carlton is a gorgeous hotel with outstanding customer service. The Montage is also beautiful but I would certainly not consider it worth double the price for a comparable room there. Price is something that is normally not a factor when considering the Montage. If it is, I would say, NO, it isn't worth double the price. But do try to get an ocean view room at the RC as some rooms have garden views. All rooms at the Montage have ocean views.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ritz v. Montage

I haven't been in a guest room in the Ritz for a couple of years, but I can say nothing about the public areas shows any wear.

I like the Ritz over the Montage because I don't like that the Montage sits right on Coast Highway and I like the beach better at the Ritz.

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
468 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ritz v. Montage

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions!

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
468 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ritz v. Montage

Just checked the rates again, a Garden view room at the Ritz would be about $500/night less than the Montage. An Ocean view room at the Ritz would be about $200/night less than the Montage.

We are travelling for 3 nights at the end of July. I am quite sure that it would be highly unlikely that we would be upgraded to an Ocean view room at the Ritz upon arrival, if I booked a Garden view room now.

Decisions, decisions............

6. Re: Ritz v. Montage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 05:16