We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel area to experience Orange County

Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best hotel area to experience Orange County

I'm taking my two teenage daughters (13 and 15) to Orange County area for 3 days before heading to L.A. area for 3-4 days. We love the beach, the beautiful cliff side views hikes/drives, and sneak a little surfing in there is any decent swell. I've been a few times, but they've never been to the west coast. We are from the New Orleans area. Newport Beach? Laguna Beach? Dana Point? Oceanside? Huntington? What area should I book a hotel in to get a good overall OC experience? Room range $200-300/night. There's so many hotel variances...it's overwhelming. Thanks!

Edited: 24 April 2014, 19:04
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

Burbank is not really an area I'd think of as being "away from the LA hustle and bustle". It can also be a bit inconvenient from there to get to most of the touristy parts of the city (the main touristy things in the valley are Universal Studios and Warner Bros. Studios, both of which are in or near Burbank). Burbank is in the San Fernando Valley, which is north of the main part of LA, and there are limited ways to get through the hills that comprise the southern end of the valley into the main part of LA, and all of them can be traffic bottlenecks. That, plus in June, the Valley can be quite hot - its temperatures are not moderated by the ocean air as many parts of LA are.

When I think of places that don't quite have all of the LA hustle and bustle, I think of the smaller beach towns, or perhaps a smaller inland town like Pasadena, but again inland = hot in June. So for me if Santa Monica is too pricey Manhattan Beach would be the next choice. Sea View Inn is rather inexpensive given its fantastic location almost on the beach.

Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

OK I'm finally booked including flights so no turning back woohoo! Laguna Beach for 3 days then Santa Monica for 3 days. Staying at the Laguna Cliffs Inn...not the best but within the budget and got ocean view. Cute place and really good price for area. Montage and Inn at Laguna Bch are triple the price per night. Chose Doubletree in Santa Monica 2 blocks from pier and bc of two-room suite at great rate for that area. Loews is great for families and really nice but twice the price. Thanks so much for everyone's help and local advice! See you guys in June!

Edited: 02 May 2014, 06:39
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

In Laguna Beach, your hotel is just down the street from a great restaurant, Las Brisas. Highly encourage you to check it out!

Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

Thanks MachThree. We are thinking about changing our Santa Monica DoubleTree Hilton hotel to the Loews in central Hollywood. This hotel is really beautiful for the same price. Our L.A. half of our trip is really geared toward tours and touristy stuff so we were thinking moving to this one. Should we stay in Santa Monica (2 blocks from beach) or move to the Loews in the middle of everything. Or is this too much in the middle of everything while traveling with two teenage daughters?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

My choice, since you already have some beach days, opt for the Loews Hollywood, plenty to see and do within walking distance.

www.latourist.com/index.php…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d224168-…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,627 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

I think the teen daughters will be far happier in Santa Monica than Hollywood.

The middle of everything that the Loews is in isn't all a good, middle of everything.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

We have teens as well (no daughters fwiw), they and we have enjoyed staying and visiting Santa Monica and it is a much better place to stay. Agree with the well respected DE for the whole state of California ScottCA

Elle and the other DEs and locals who live in LA can help you plan a great trip while in SM. They've helped us a lot as well especially with their food suggestions.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 23:18
Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

Ah yes these were my suspicions. Living in NOLA I'm well aware of being too much in the "middle" of things...i.e. Bourbon St.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

Hollywood works well without a car because it has great public transit access. For other purposes its generally best to stay somewhere else - there are nicer areas that aren't quite so overwhelmingly touristy. Hollywood being a bit like Bourbon St. (or Times Square) are good analogies. So if it were me I'd prefer to stay in Santa Monica, which is a nicer area and, besides, is there really any such thing as "too much beach"? :)

30. Re: Best hotel area to experience Orange County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16