We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly evening activities?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly evening activities?

I'm bringing my husband, his parents, and our three kids (21,18 & 14) for a first time trip to Laguna Beach July 26-31. I'm looking for some nighttime entertainment suitable for our whole group. I will get tickets for Pageant of the Masters, but I'd like something for at least one more night. We don't mind driving 30ish minutes. A play or musical, family friendly comedian, or something else? Any ideas very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Luckenbach, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

http://www.newswanshakespeare.com/

If your family doesn't mind being entertained outside for another night and it is within your driving time limit.

Bring ski jackets(seriously, at least for the ladies) for PotM, the canyon gets cold no matter how hot it is during the day and you will understand why they rent out so many blankets to chilly patrons at intermission.

Binocs for everyone, it is a bummer to share when you only have a few minutes to see the tableau.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

Ghost The Musical will be playing at the Segerstrom Center in Costa Mesa www.scfta.org/home/Events/EventDetail.aspx…

Edited: 13 June 2014, 00:29
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

The Buddy Holly Story will be on at the Laguna Playhouse when you are here.

lagunaplayhouse.com/onstage/…index.php

You'll just miss Jersey Boys at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. Ghost The Musical, will be on at Segerstrom along with Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev in their show, Solo Ballet for Two.

Just strolling through the Art-a-fair and Sawdust Festival can be fun.

There also ought to be a grunion run when you are here. I'd recommend Corona del Mar State Beach over Main Beach Laguna because of more area.

https:/…runs

Edited: 13 June 2014, 00:30
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

I'll try again with that link for Ghost: www.scfta.org/home/Events/EventDetail.aspx…

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

Scott It looks like Buddy Holly Story will just be for one night prior to the OP's visit.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

The Buddy Holly Story is running July 9 – Aug 10, 2014. I know it isn't every night, but I think it runs at least four nights a week.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

i wouldn't over plan too much...a couple of evenings enjoying a nice meal, overlooking the ocean then strolling around town can be just great and everyone could go their separate ways if they wanted.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

I have to agree with lttt. It is best not to be too structured in your planning. I have friends who schedule every minute of their trips and they wear everyone out. Laguna Beach is they type of place where you'll want to "play it by ear." And remember all of the art festivals will be going on then and they are open into the night. If you are staying in town, you can just visit the Art-A-Fair or Sawdust Festival when you feel like it. You can go to the Laguna Art Festival when you go to POM as you'll get into the grounds free. And remember that not everyone in your family may want to do the same thing.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 07:45
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

All great suggestions, thanks so much! We've done these family trips for several years now, and we do keep our days very laid back. But having at least two evenings planned with some sort of entertainment has worked well. I don't know that I'll ever be able to top our San Diego trips night at Mixtape...that was such a great show that we all enjoyed. I do hope the pageant of the masters will be good for our group. I'm a little nervous about it. Planning for a group can be stressful..,you all have been very helpful.

Thank you!

10. Re: Family friendly evening activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16