We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

I'm planning a trip to Long Beach in July in between trips for 1 night. My main purpose is to go to a nice sandy beach to relax. Is there a sandy beach within walking distance from the hotels in Long Beach? I won't have a car and would like a short walk to the beach. I checked on line and found Belmont shore beach but seems a bit far from Long Beach and cannot find good hotels around there.

I considered other beaches ie Manhattan, Marina Del Ray etc but Long Beach is the best location to fit my trip for one night stay between LA and SF. Any suggestions?

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

If you are set on staying in Long Beach then the Belmont Shore area is your best bet for a hotel near a sandy beach, but as you noted, it is a bit of a distance from the "Downton" area where the Queen Mary and the Acquarium of the Pacific are located. The hotels along Ocean Blvd or near the Queen Mary, while within walking or free shuttle distance to the ocean, has no sandy beach area. You might try Seal Beach, although it is even farther from the "downtown" area of Long Beach.

Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

Thanks for the reply.

Where would I find info on this free shuttle?

I'm coming from LA by Metro blue line train to Long Beach.

Are there nice hotels in Seal Beach area? How far is it from Long Beach (how many minute ride from Long Beach?)

Thanks

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

You're welcome Yukoy,

You can find more information on the free shuttle, called the Pine Ave Link, that runs from Pine Ave to the Queen Mary, Acquarium of the Pacific etc at the linnk below.

lbtransit.com/Services/Pine-Avenue-Link.aspx

The metro blue line from L.A. will let you off at 1st Street and Pine Ave. From there you can catch the free Pine Ave Link.

Seal Beach is about a 10 minute drive from 1st and Pine Ave. I don't know that any of the Long Beach Transit buses go to Seal Beach. Somebody else here at TA might have more info as to how to get to Seal Beach via public transportation if that is going to be your method of tranport. Regarding Seal Beach Hotels, you might check the hotel reviews for Seal Beach here on TA. I'm not sure of your budget for a hotel room and all of the Seal Beach hotels reviewed on TA are in the same price range I checked the location for all three of them. Pacific Inn is not near the beach. Judging by a map of the area, it looks like Seal Beach Inn and Gardens is closest you'd get to the beach.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,973 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

For what's its worth, I can't see why you'd want to stay in or near Long Beach as a "best location ... between L.A. and San Francisco" since Long Beach is not between Los Angeles and San Francisco!!

Long Beach is SOUTH of L.A.

San Francisco is NORTH of L.A.

Besides, to get to Long Beach, you'll need to take the blue line (1 hour ride) from L.A. to Long Beach and upon arrival an additional; bus to get you to a hotel with decent beach access.

Alternatively, you can take the Santa Monica #10 bus from downtown L.A. to Santa Monica which will also take an hour but will leave you 1 block from the beach in a city (Santa Monica) which is:

1. On one of the main routes to San Francisco (Route 1)

2. Closer to San Francisco

3. Pedestrian-friendly

4. More fun!

Please re-consider Long Beach.

5. Re: Long beach hotel by the sandy beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 07:17