We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle service?

Which Long Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle service?

Hi all,

Coming out in Jan but having a hard time deciding which airport to fly into. For best rates, looks like LAX. Must do a one-way fare.

My question is....is there a shuttle service that I can contact for transportation from LAX to Long Beach area? If so, does anyone have a phone number or email address? Want to see if it would be worth the extra $'s I save flying into LAX vs Long Beach.

Thanks!

SJG

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle service?

Take a look at the Super Shuttle website www.supershuttle.com then click on Fare Quote. For example, the fare from either LAX or LGB to the Queen Mary in Long Beach is $17 for one person, but from LGB (which is closer) there is a substantial discount for additional persons. Personally, I recommend LAX which has the most ground transportation options and I don't think you have to make any advance reservations.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle service?

Yes, check out Super Shuttle. It's a well-worn path (so to speak) between Long Beach and LAX. Shuttle should not be a problem.

California
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle service?

I regularly use Super Shuttle between Long Beach and LAX and I can tell you it's not $17 for one person! It's $30 for the first person, $9 for each additional person. (It was $29 in 2006 but it's since gone up in price.)

If you can't get a good deal flying JetBlue into Long Beach, then I would recommend using Super Shuttle from LAX. There's no need to pre-book. Just exit the terminal and head to the shuttle stop (there are stops at every terminal). There's usually an agent there and you tell them where you're going. They will then radio the Long Beach van to come pick you up. I think the longest I've waited was 20 minutes.

They take cash or credit card (no ATM) which you'll pay upon arrival at your destination. (FYI - tips are appreciated as I've been told that the majority of the salary the drivers make comes from their tips.)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle service?

I can't argue with the above poster who has actually paid $30 for the SuperShuttle and now that I think about it, $17 seems very cheap, but I double checked the website and it shows $17 one-way fare as I mentioned. Is it possible that you save if you pre-book?? Maybe you could call them to find out:

(800) BLUE VAN (258-3826) Reservations

(888) 888-6025 Customer Care

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,394 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle service?

Try Prime Time Shuttle (redvans.com). They are often less expensive than Super Shuttle.

It would appear that if you put in the zip code that you are going to in Long Beach, Super Shuttle quotes you $30 for the ride. If you put in the hotel's name, the quote is $17.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle service?

Thanks all for your help, greatly appreciated!!!

Will figure out what to do now that I have some info on who to call!!

SJG

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle service?

Hi

We are coming to Long Beach on the 20th August for a two week holiday and our flight will get us into LAX at about 3:30pm, given we've not driven in the US before and this will be rush hour on your freeway we thought we would avoid hiring a car for a couple of days and take a taxi to our Long Beach destination.

Given that I guess the taxi fare could be pretty steep if it gets caught in traffic between LAX and Long Beach I would be interested to hear about the shuttle bus. How easy is it to find from LAX airport? Roughly how much is a single ticket into Long Beach? In terms of where it drops you off - are there a number of fairly central stops?

Sorry for all the questions.... !

Also, we plan to hire a car to explore after a couple of days on foot and wondered if there was a recommended hire car place that anyone would recommend?

Many Thanks in advance,

Becky

California
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle service?

Becky, the shuttle service discussed here is a shared van (peoplemover) service. It's a door-to-door service that picks up at all terminals at LAX and will drop you off wherever you need to go. The maximum number of people it takes is 7. If the van isn't full, it is supposed to take 3 trips around the airport looking for additional passengers before it can continue on to its destination.

It appears from the postings above that it costs $30 (for the first person, $9-$10 for each addtional person in your party) to pick up/drop off at a private residence but that it's only $17 if the pick up/drop off is to one of the major hotels in Long Beach (not sure if it's $17 per person or if you get a discount for each additional person in your party).

Take a look at www.supershuttle.com. Email them if you have any specific questions.

As for the car hire, it depends on where you're staying (I'm assuming you'll be in Long Beach when you need to get the car?). For the greatest selection, take a taxi to Long Beach airport as there are a number of car hire agencies there.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle service?

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your comments.

Cheers

Becky

10. Re: Shuttle service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 18:18