We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Mary tour for young kids?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Mary tour for young kids?

Can I find out if the Queen Mary tour is suitable for young kids? Noticed that the "Ghost & Legends" is included, so not too sure if that's "scary". What about the submarine tour? Also, where should we park?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,329 posts
6,137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Mary tour for young kids?

How young is young....the Queen Mary tour is not scarry....it is interesting. The only concern that I would have is that there is a fair amount of walking....as long as you and the young kids don't mind walking around, you'll find it very interesting.

The "ghosts and legends" is more story telling - not a scare house like they do at Halloween. It is interesting. The kids will have more fun running around, looking at things, being on a big boat than learning about the history of the Queen Mary.

I think you're family will enjoy it. In terms of the submarine tour, again are your kids walking stage then it should be fine.

Its close quarters so it can be a bit hard if you have to carry one of them. Parking is right there on the Queen Mary lot.

Enjoy the Queen Mary, Long beach and your trip.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,329 posts
6,137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Mary tour for young kids?

How young is young....the Queen Mary tour is not scarry....it is interesting. The only concern that I would have is that there is a fair amount of walking....as long as you and the young kids don't mind walking around, you'll find it very interesting.

The "ghosts and legends" is more story telling - not a scare house like they do at Halloween. It is interesting. The kids will have more fun running around, looking at things, being on a big boat than learning about the history of the Queen Mary.

I think you're family will enjoy it. In terms of the submarine tour, again are your kids walking stage then it should be fine.

Its close quarters so it can be a bit hard if you have to carry one of them. Parking is right there on the Queen Mary lot.

Enjoy the Queen Mary, Long beach and your trip.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Mary tour for young kids?

Also there are a few variations of the tour -some include more 'private' areas while a general tour is available for a less limited access to all floors. The tour is not scarry as mentioned and the parking lot is right there although for my taste a bit expensive -if possible take the Long Beach shuttle bus to the Queen Mary.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Mary tour for young kids?

Hello CynTeow: I use to live in Long Beach for many years up until a little over a year ago.

Although the Queen Mary has several different tours listed on their website...what it doesn't tell you is that you may enter the boat (General Admission) for your own self-guided tour under $10 (you may call 1-800-437-2934 to verify if you wish). With children this is the best way to go as you never know how long their attention span will last.

Sorry I have never taken the submarine tour so I am unable to tell you anything about it (other than they are right next to each other).

The other thing has to do with parking (which always seems to be on the high side in Long Beach). There is a wonderful shopping area called Shoreline Village across from the Queen Mary. It is a great place to park, shop, and eat. If you eat there or spend a couple of bucks, have your ticket handy and they will validate it for you (presto...free parking for 2 hours). Now depending what day you are in Long Beach they have boats (Aqualink or Aquabus) that will ferry you over to the Queen Mary for right around a $1 (kids under 2 are free). My kids always had the best time just going back and forth on these boats :o)

Below is the link telling you about Shoreline Village and the aqualink boats:

http://www.lbtransit.com/aqualink.html

http://www.shorelinevillage.com/index.html

I hope you have a great time in Long Beach and enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Shoreline Village
Shoreline Village
776 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Mary tour for young kids?

Unfortunately the your of the Queen Mary has gotten a bad rap in past years. Remember however that this ship is LARGER then the Titanic ! "Ghosts and Legends," is actually a failed a venture when the folks @ Disneyland destroyed the hisotrically ambience of the tour in hopes that they could build into their "Disney By The Sea," plans when they just wanted to buy the Disneyland Hotel which was a package deal with the Queen Mary (Disney quickly sold the ship back to the City of Long Beach when their "...By the Sea," was quickly rejected by the City residences). The tour is not scary, but you feel as a passenger would traveling back in time. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Legends
Legends
37 Reviews
Long Beach, CA