We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Mary.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Mary.

We are from Australia and are going on a cruise from Long Beach.

I wouldnt mind staying on The Queen Mary for one night after the cruise and before we fly to SF,is there much to do/see in this area?

Looks to me like there is not much around QM ,will we need to cab in and out of other parts of Long Beach,we dont just want to spend the whole day and evening on the ship as we would have just done a cruise.

Thanks

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Mary.

There is a free shuttle into downtown from the queen Mary. You can go to the aquarium, museum of Latin American art, shop, dine, or drink. See discussion below re: trolley

Edited: 07 January 2012, 04:45
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Mary.

The Varden, the Avia, and the Renaissance Long Beach are in the main Downtown area and get good Tripadvisor ratings, they would be more convenient.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Mary.

I've seen those little high priced rooms on the QM. You couldn't pay me to stay there. It takes 20 minutes just to get through the parking lot and onto the ship.

Then the rooms have no A/C and can be quite stuffy and confining.

QM's pricing is for the novelty aspect and not for the quality of the accommodations. I recommend staying in a decent hotel (as recommended by wanderer) and visiting the QM if you wish.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Mary.

Having been on the Queen Mary a few months ago while we stayed in the nearby Marriott Residence Inn (a very comfortable and decent hotel). I would like at some point to stay on the Queen Mary purely for the novelty of it but agree that the rooms that I got a quick peek into as we looked around seemed basic. It is a beautiful ship, though, especially if you like Art Deco. The Hotel Maya is another hotel on that side of Long Beach and looks really nice too. The view rooms (most of them I think) are probably worth the money. The Residence Inn is just a little further along. It is a short walk over to the Queen Mary, so you could head over for a drink or a meal and enjoy the ambiance of the ship. Having only spent four days in Long Beach, I hardly qualify as an expert but I'm quite happy that we did not stay in any of the downtown-ish hotels just because there didn't seem to be anything distinguishing about their location. In the Maya and the others you really are right on the water, which is what we like. It is very easy to get around in Long Beach due to the trolly and in summer there is a passenger ferry that heads over from near the Queen Mary to near the Aquarium.

Bottom line: whether or not you actually stay on the Queen Mary it is very easy to enjoy what it has to offer if you stay elsewhere.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Mary.

Here is a link to the Long Beach tourism Board...

www.visitlongbeach.com

I am a fan (and member) of the Aquarium of the Pacific in the Shoreline area.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Mary.

Thanks for the info :)

cabot pa
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen Mary.

My son lives in Long Beach and he booked a one night stay back in the summer of 2009 for my wife and I when we came for a visit. We took the longer ghost tour and my wife enjoyed it. After we got back to the room my wife asked "your going back out aren't you?". YES!

Being a retired machinist I couldn't get enough of the inter workings of the boat. It would probably bore a lot of people but I loved it.

8. Re: Queen Mary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2013, 10:17