We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it a safe area

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
is it a safe area

We were planning on 3 nights at Long bech and today a friend who lives in the US told I that I wouldnt wantt to go to Long Beach - that it was seedy and not safe We are wanting a beach holiday and doing a bit of a road trip in July

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,039 posts
6,071 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it a safe area

Long Beach is not really your "beach holiday". It is a city with the Port of Long Beach being there; the aquarium; day cruises to such places as Catalina and more. In this area, it is your normal city "safe" meaning take normal precautions you take in any city. The freeway itself is fine (however it is not my favorite as lots and lots of truck traffic due to the Port being there and trucks coming and going all hours of the day.)

If you want a vacation that feels a little more "beachy" than "port and city" life than look at nearby Huntington Beach area for that type of vacation.

http://www.surfcityusa.com/

If on the other hand you are already ok with what you are planning to do in Long Beach, keep your plans as is. Its ok (in some places a bit older) and city safe.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it a safe area

There are wonderful parts of Long Beach, there are seedy parts of Long Beach. If you want the beach I would suggest staying at the little B&B on Broadway (I can research the name if you need it) because its in a neighborhood, is within walking distance to the beach, and a short bus ride to Belmont Shore area where there are shops, restaurants, bars, and more beach. George's Greek Restaurant is a favorite of mine. There are also a few restaurants right along Broadway. Google map it for fun.

As the previous poster stated, Long Beach really is a city where people live. We have the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and that's about it.

Do you have anything specific you'd like to do while here? Maybe that would help with advice we can provide.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it a safe area

Well, there is much more than just the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary. Lots of boat tours leave the area, and is a very popular location to take the ferry to Catalina Island/Avalon. Lots of shops/restaurants are available.

Long Beach also has a lot of large facilities that can handle major events, such as the Convention Center and the Long Beach Arena.

www.visitlongbeach.com

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it a safe area

Long Beach is a big city with a population close to 500,000. There are bad, gang infested neighborhoods and neighborhoods filled with million dollar plus homes.

There is much more to the city than the port--but what are you looking to do?

'm a native of Long Beach, but think as a tourist destination, there are other locations within 20 miles of the city that are more desirable. But--I welcome anyone one wants to come to see our museums, the aquarium, eat in our great restaurants, stay in our hotels, and shop in our shops.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it a safe area

thanks for your reply - we do want to spend a day on Catalina Island - we thought about 3 nights on Long Beach just to recover from the flight from Australia - and its a lot cheaper than say Santa Monica. We were looking at the Westin and then driving to Grand Canyon via Vegas.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it a safe area

You may want to use Priceline, name your own price option. Zone 1, 3 1/2 plus stars, start at $65 -- you will more than likely get the Westin, Renaissance, or Hyatt Regency. All 3 great, centrally located downtown hotels.

Long Beach has free transportation downtown that will take you to the Catalina Express for free.

www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

If you travel outside of the free area, it is $1.25/person each way. I would recommend a late afternoon and dinner in Belmont Shore.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it a safe area

I prefer Hotwire over Priceline, as there is no need to bid, the low price is posted, so no need for games, plus the fact they list the exact amenities for the Hotel, which is good for two reasons, one to be able to know what you are getting, but also, the amenities list helps to identify the specific hotel in many cases. Check out places like BetterBidding.com for specific info.

Also note, there are TWO different Catalina Express docks in Long Beach, so make sure you are going to the correct location.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 03:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it a safe area

The coastal strip of Long Beach is absolutely fine. As a visitor it is important to note that all of Long Beach's beach (it is long!) is contained within a breakwater and so there is little wave activity, and certainly no surfing or boogey-boarding. That said, Long Beach's charms are (a) its varied neighbourhoods (i.e. Belmont Shores for shopping, Aquarium area for scenic water views and strolling, East Arts Village for ecletic shopping, etc ), (b) good museums (MOLAA, LB Mus of Art), (c) the Queen Mary - old and tired, but interesting to visit, (d) solid restaurant selections, (e) water sports (paddle boarding, kayaking, etc) and (f) proximity to other interesting So Cal beach communities. Of particular note is SEAL BEACH - a charming often overlooked beach community that borders Long Beach. Its beaches offer waves, easy surfing/boarding, and a great small town 'main street' with boutique shops and restaurants. A water bus connects Long Beach to Alamitos Bay, which is a short stroll from Seal Beach (AquaLink Bus), and a street commuter bus (the Passport) connects all the neighbourhoods and over to Seal Beach for easy transit. I would have no safety concerns about Long Beach at all - as with any California city just be sensible.

As to driving to the Grand Canyon via Vegas - its probably 4 hour drive to Vegas, and from Vegas to the Grand Canyon another 4-5 hours- most people would drive through Arizona to the Grand Canyon to go to the south rim as it is open year round. The north rim (from vegas) is only open part of the year. If all you want to do is see it, a helicopter ride from Vegas is an option. If you want to fly to Vegas, cheap quick flights from Long Beach airport (LGB) are available on Jet Blue.

9. Re: is it a safe area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:18