We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

I'll be flying into LAX from Toronto Saturday October 6th and taking a Disney Cruise Sunday the 7th which departs from the Cruise terminal in San Pedro. (My other half is an officer with DCLso I'm meeting up with the ship there)

My dilemma is whether to pay the extra money to stay in San Pedro the night before or to go for a more basic budget friendly hotel in Long Beach where there might be more going on.

There is a marathon/half marathon race going on in Long Beach starting very early on Sunday morning. I'm wondering if that will cause a huge traffic nightmare and how difficult it will be to get to the port. I'm thinking of taking a taxi across.

I'm looking for somewhere in proximity of some shops and bars/restaurants and within a reasonable distance to the water so I can go for a walk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

The hotel zone in downtown Long Beach along Ocean Ave will be difficult to manouver around since that is the starting and ending area of the marathon. I'd look at the Crowne Plaza, Doubletree Marina, or for a budget choice the Travelodge in San Pedro.

The Doubletree is right on the water at Cabrillo Marina and the Crown Plaza is near the water of the Port of LA. You would have more shops and restaurants within walking distance if you stayed at the Crowne Plaza.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

Thanks for the reply!

I booked a 'top secret' room through Travelocity and it ended up being the Crowne Plaza!

I'm looking forward to this trip!

Cheers!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

Congratulations! If you feel like having a bite to eat, there is a wonderful british style pub about two blocks from the hotel called the Whale and Ale. It is very fun. Also close is the San Pedro Brewing Company which has pretty good food and a very casual atmosphere with sidewalk dining. If you have time, take a look at the many galleries around the area. if you feel like taking a taxi ride a little ways, the Port O'Call restaurant is right on a main shipping lane of the harbor.

Have fun!

Long Beach...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

I would echo that recommendation. There are some cool places to hang out on 6th and 7th Aves in San Pedro like the San Pedro Brewing Company, Niko's Restaurant among others.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

Check out this informative forum from Tripadvisor's sister site: cruise critic

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

6. Re: Hotel: San Pedro or Long Beach before Disney Cruise??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach
Recent Conversations