We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Long Beach

We are staying at the Long Beach Best Western, first time visit, is this area safe?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach

Why have you chosen Long Beach - what are you planning to do and see while in the area?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach

. I really wanted to know how the Best Western Long Beach was for safety. I hope to see and do as much as we can.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach

People more familiar with the Long Beach area can tell you specifically if the BW is in a safe area - however which one are you considering? There are two in Long Beach from what I can tell -the one on the convention center on 1st street, and another one on Long Beach Blvd. In any case I'm sure someone who can answer specifically about safety will be along shortly.

Beyond safety, however, there is the issue of convenience & proximity to the places that you want to visit.

The main tourist attractions in Long Beach are the Aquarium of the Pacific, and the RMS Queen Mary. Nearby in San Pedro is the USS Iowa museum, and the Leo Cabrillo Beach and oceanagraphic center.

If you are looking to visit sights in areas such as Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or downtown Los Angeles, then Long Beach is far from all of these areas and generally inconvenient for that purpose. Likewise, it is not particular close to other places such as Anaheim (Disneyland). Its a bit closer to the northern Orange County beaches like Seal Beach and Huntington Beach.

So if you are looking to concentrate your visit in one of these other areas that I mentioned, then it would be better to stay closer to those areas. We'd be happy to give you specific hotel suggestions if you'd like to share with us your hotel budget and also let us know if you will or will not be renting a car.

Also, one common misconception about Long Beach - just from its name - is that its a beach area. This is only partially true. Today the shoreline in Long Beach is taken up mostly by the large shipping port there. South of the port there is still some beach, but its mainly behind the breakwater for the port and so it only gets minimal waves.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 18:26
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach

Agree with the unsolicited info given already.

But the answer to your question... If it is the BW on Long Beach Blvd, it is not in the best area of town and I would not walk around after dark there. If it's the BW Plus on 1st, it's ok as it's still in the tourists bubble close to the waterfront which endsa number of blocks from the waterfront.

The first BW is in the same general neighborhood as the Tower Motel someone asked about recently.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 18:43
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach

Long Beach is a terrible base for sightseeing Los Angeles.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach

Which Best Western? Definitely NOT the one on LB Blvd. (Golden Sails is also a BW and the location is safe but hotel gets worse reviews than BW Plus near the Convention Center.)

Have a look at Google Maps. Downtown Long Beach is not a convenient location unless you have a convention or cruise. For general sightseeing in Los Angeles you can do better elsewhere. Give a budget and tell us what you plan to see.

Also as said the area where most hotels are located is either harbor or marina, not a sandy beach.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 22:15
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Beach

I totally disagree with the comments that Long Beach is not a good base for visiting Southern California attractions. For downtown LA, it is great because the Blue Line train goes directly from downtown Long Beach to downtown LA. From there, you can get anywhere connect to the west side, to Pasadena (Gold Line) and on to Santa Monica. Orange County Transit Bus #1 goes as far north as Long Beach and you can take it South as far as San Clemente.

For safety, I would stay down in the tourist area near Ocean Ave. If you are booked at the Best Western on Long Beach Blvd, I suggest moving elsewhere. That is not a tourist location at all. The Best Western Golden Sails on PCH is actually closer to Seal Beach, which is a really lovely town with a great Main Street business district with good restaurants and shops. Seal Beach also has a really nice sandy beach. It has easy bus access to downtown Long Beach for the Aquarium, Queen Mary, etc. If you have a car, it is really easy access to all of the Orange County attractions and you can get to Disneyland in 20 minutes by the 22 Freeway.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Beach

Only problem with using the Blue Line is that it takes about an hour one way, just to Downtown LA. And for most tourists, taking the train thru Compton and Watts isn't their idea of a restful vacay, especially if they are asking here about safety.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Beach

Sue - while some of these comments may sound harsh, we really just want you to have a good and safe holiday. Please come back to let folks know what you intend to do and see in SoCal, when you are coming, budget in actual $ amount, and whether you will have a car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,438 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Beach

There are three Best Westerns in Long Beach. Two are in reasonably safe areas, one is not.