We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Mary

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Mary

According to people in this forum, there are good and horrible rooms at the Queen Mary Hotel in LB. Which are exactly the good ones? I could find different types of acomodation on the site: King 1st class, Inside, King tourist, etc. Are this a valid hint for what I can expect?

long beach
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Mary

the Queen Mary is a rusted old ship that the city has been trying to market for decades and have rolled up so much debt on that white elephant, even Disney pulled out of operating it, years ago. the rooms were good for their time, 70 years ago. you would be better off staying at a nice hotel with modern conviences. better yet, stay at a hotel on the beach in Huntington Beach, a much nicer town than Long Beach. heck, they even have a real beach there. take it from me, i have lived in Long Beach my whole life. Long Beach should really change their name to Wrong Beach. back to the Queen Mary,... is there any wonder why the lease holders of the Queen Mary filed for bankruptcy?

london
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Mary

we stayed in the QM last December and were both absolutely disgusted with the state she has been allowed in get into, dirty, shabby cabins, a bathroom that had all the white (plastic?) peeling away from the bath, complimentry mineral water for your use that will cost $3 each (work that one out, I couldn't) waiting staff with a very basic understanding of how to do the job. I actually fail to understand what she is doing in Long Beach, she should be in New York where she has history (campaign anybody?) and would be treated with love and respect.My advice would be to avoid at all cost.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,922 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Mary

Unlike the other 2 writers, Queen Mary can be quite fun to visit. If you are looking for a deluxe room - then Queen Mary is not the place to stay however. I've found some very good deals on Expedia ($100.00 per room) and did take advantage of staying on the Queen Mary. We got an outside room with a King bed. The room size is what you could expect in 1940's (which is when the boat was at its prime) and not of the super giant size that many American hotels now enjoy.

Its good to have a port window.....

The Queen Mary web site and the pricing are actually excellent guides of what type of lodging to expect with the top being royalty suite to the worst type rooms being inside stateroom.

http://www.queenmary.com/hotel.php#rates

So your top will be:

Royalty Suite $360 - $660

Executive Stateroom $219 - $249

Deluxe Stateroom $179 - $229

First Class Stateroom $169 - $189

Tourist Class Stateroom $139 - $159

Inside Stateroom $109 - $139

They offer some good rates for Special room rate Sunday - Thursday (holidays excluded) $109 - $149.

and they also offer some nice package deals if interested in example going to catalina:

The food at their restaurants is quite good and the Queen Mary puts on a really grand New Years Eve complete with fireworks.

The location for going to Catalina, etc.is fun for a few days.

The rooms however are not deluxe.....and 1st class is more 1st class 1940 style. Its hard however to get a water front room for $109.00 with a fun location in LA area with decent restaurants, interesting walking decks, and good location for that inexpensive of a rate.

If you go there with that attitude, you will find Queen Mary delightful. If you go there like the other 2 and expect luxury rooms 2005 style, you will not find them there.

london
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Mary

I'm sorry Mini but I have to correct you, I worked in the QE2 for a while in the seventies so I knew that the last thing I would be getting would be 2005 style luxury, there was nothing wrong with the size and the facilities, what I found unacceptable was the cleanliness, the disrepair, and the lucklustre couldn't care attitude of the staff

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Mary

For me... the QM is JUNK...

They should have taken it away and returned it back to the East Coast, at the same time they pulled the Howard Hughes Spruce Goose out of Long Beach Harbor!

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Mary

Just na FYI, they are not doing July 4 fireworks this year.

Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen Mary

The QM is wonderful if you like nostalgia. I do not aree with the previous review that stated to stay in Huntington Beach. If you do not mind swimming in someone's toilet sewage, then by all means go to the "real" beach in HB, otherwise stay in LB and avoid having to get your Hepatitus series vaccinations in order to swim. At least the QM is in Long Beach, part of wonderful Los Angeles County where they care about the cleanliness of their ocean waters. Orange County beaches BREED and are teaming with bacteria.

I did stay at the QM, and all joking aside, the place IS haunted. Not the best place for light sleepers.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queen Mary

Up until a year ago Long Beach was my home for many years. My suggestion would be to take a tour of the ship and lay your head somewhere else. I've got to tell you though one of the best views of Long Beach is standing on the deck of the QM and looking back at the Long Beach coastline (it's stunning)!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
312 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queen Mary

Wow that was harsh samsen! OC Beaches are not that bad. I guess the so called "bacteria" magically disappears when the cities change?

Milwaukee
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Queen Mary

Our room was good, on the same floor as the check in/out desk, 1 floor down from the bar/decks.

Very haunted, make sure you look for ghosts. I accused everyone we ran into that worked there of being a ghost. ;) the basement & the engine room & the pool are where you want to be.

The room itself was nothing to write home about, except for the windows. Ours overlooked Long Beach Harbor. Very beautiful.

The walls are paper-thin. We were told to shut up several times by the room next to us.

Musty smell, I do remember that.

The view from the deck outside is AWESOME.