We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

New Zealand
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

There are 4 of us (2 kids) needing to get from the airport to Anaheim, and the Park Vue Inn. Is $15 per person on the bus the best way or is a taxi a better alternative - less than $60?

We have 4 days so imagine 2 days at Disneyland and 1 at Hollywood Studios/Sunset Boulevard and an evening at the Medieval Dinner at Knotsberry Farm. Is this a good idea?

Where is the best place to purchase tickets for these places?

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sunset Boulevard
Sunset Boulevard
580 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
alberta, canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

Personally i am renting a car, also 4 of us. Will cost about 160 canadian. Consider the cost to and from the airport is 120 plus transfers to universal studios and medival. If you want to explore hollywood blvd and the walk of fame ext. you will have far more flexibility driving. Don't let the freeways intimidate, if you have a good copilot should be easy to get around.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

Thanks for that. Had not even thought of a car to hire and the deals available seem to save us money!

Anybody got a tried, true and economical company to deal with?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

I used Advantage Rent A Car when I was there in December. Their prices were good, they treated me really well, and they have a free shuttle to go to/from LAX to their office where cars are located. (very near LAX)

I have also used Enterprise many times, and have always been treated very well by them as well.

And previous poster is right - the LA freeways are very easy to get around on.... I had a 13 year old navigator and we made out just fine!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

Your longest drive will likely be Anaheim to Universal/Hollywood. It's not difficult at all - Take I-5 to 101 and follow 101 to exit... but it is about an hour's drive if the traffic is heavy.

That probably won't be an issue on the way to Universal, since they don't open until 10:00, but if you are trying to return between 4:00 and about 7:00 pm, the traffic will be heavy. Take a breath and remind yourself you're on vacation. lol.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

"Take I-5 to 101 and follow 101 to exit... but it is about an hour's drive if the traffic is heavy. "

Heh. Spoken like a true tourist.

It's about 2 hours if the traffic is heavy!

Having said that, you're still better off with a car and planning your trips to avoid the worst of traffic.

If you have access to a computer on your trip, bookmark this:

http://www.sigalert.com

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

we rented from Ace Rent a Car about 1.5 years ago. www.acerentacar.com (although they had a different website that was just for them before so don't know if much has changed). Rates were about about $15. Didn't think it was worth upgrading one level as the car was still a PT cruiser, but with more features. The rental agency is off site, but when you arrive you call a toll free # and a shuttle bus will pick you up. I was surprised how smooth it all went considering it wasn't one of the bigger car rental companies. back then they advertised that they accepted competitor's coupons. So if you have an entertainment book you can save even more. For us, the entertainment book happened to have a free car seat rental coupon (too bad they don't offer that anymore), which we used as it saved us more than the free day or 20% off coupons would as renting a car seat was about $8/day. Ahtough it's not advertised you can try asking if they accept competitors coupons.

Returning the car was simple and we got a shuttle back to the airport with no hassles.

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

btw, forgot to mention, yes easy to get around if you have a navigator, BUT may be a bit scary at first until you get use to driving there. I'm from Vancouver canada and lets just say the drivers are REALLY agressive compared to where i'm from. I did most of the driving. was so scared of changing lanes as everyone's going sooo fast and changing lanes back and forth.

another note, if you get a map from AAA, don't be fooled by how close things seem. As we wasted a LOT of time driving around, thinking things were close! The AAA LA map skips tonnes of the small streets, so what seems like only 12 blocks away is REALLY far!! Yah, i guess i should have used the distance calculator, but i didn't. The San Diego map is MUCH better and includes all the streets!

As well, we never really encountered really bad traffic like we were expecting, maybe we were travelling at the right times?!!?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
San Diego
San Diego
California
New Zealand
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

Wonderful help.

Now how do we find and 'entertainment book"? These discounts sound pretty good!

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

Hi ralphey,

Entertainment book is a North American thing, but here's their website.

http://entertainment.com/

you can also purchase coupons off of ebay. but i'm sure you can also find codes if you google. checkout costco.com under the travel section they have car rentals. discounts suppose to be for members only, but who really knows if they actually ask to see your card when you p/u your car.

Orange County, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX to Disneyland, Anaheim

ralphey,

they also sell the entertainment book at barnes and noble bookstore and even some supermarkets when you get to LA

they may even sell it at the airport but i'm not sure about that.

make sure you look at the edition

theres a LA County and an Orange County version

tho both should have the theme park discounts

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California