We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

we're heading to mexico for 10 days with a stop over in LA on our way back. We'll be arriving around 10:30pm on Thur, May 3rd and won't be flying out until 7:30pm, Sat May 5th.

There's 3 families with three 3 year olds and a baby. We're planning to go to Disney on the 4th, so wondering which area people would recommend staying at. I'm thinking we should stay somewhere in between LA and Aneheim so it's not such a long drive on Friday. Don't really want to stay in Aneheim as we'll have to be at the airport around 5:30pm ish, so somewhere in the middle would be good.....plus probably a bit more affordable.

btw, how long would the drive take from LA to Disneyland if we were to stay in LA?

Considering using priceline for our stay, but not necessarily if we can find a nice place for a reasonable price. Have a AAA card and entertainment book, so can factor that in.

What would people recommend doing on saturday since we have a bit of time. Don't plan on doing any amusement park attractions since we wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it. WOuld be nice to do something not necessarily kid oriented, but something that the kids could still enjoy....and of course, not too far from the airport. I read in one of the posts that someone was recommending the La Brea tar pits. Would that work for us, kid and proximity wise?

thanks in advance for any help!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

I think I would stay near Disneyland, since that is apparently the one "must" on your agenda, and there are a great variety of hotels there. As a side trip away from Disney, you could go to Newport Beach, seeing the beautiful Fashion Island shopping center and the real island nearby, quaint Balboa Island.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

hi fromdelmar, thx for the suggestion, but don't know if that will work for us as we'll need to head back to LAX and have almost the full day. If we're in Aneheim that would mean we'd have to leave our luggage in the car unless we can check it in somewhere for the day before our flight. Is there a place with such service? I don't think many hotels will let you leave your luggage if you're not a guest.

California
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

I'm sure you can find somewhere to stay inbetween LAX and Anaheim, although I also recommend staying in Anaheim. You'll have the convience of having your hotel room close by incase the kids need to nap, or for a break during your disneyland day. Then on Saturday, maybe drive over to Santa Monica area (3 street promanade, ect) walk around the beach areas and then head over to LAX for your flight.

Between LAX and Anaheim, 35 min with no traffic and 1 hour (+) with traffic. You should be okay driving to Anaheim on Thursday (since your flight arrives late). On Saturday the traffic should be lighter than the weekdays too.

Santa Monica is very close to LAX (maybe 10-15 minutes)

Enjoy your time here!

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

Anaheim is full of hotels that cater to families / family suites etc. This type of accomodation is harder to find as you leave that general area. Many hotels will hold your luggage for the afternoon after you check out. Even if your hotel is not in Anaheim, you have the same problem after 11am checkout time so I don't see why staying nearer LAX would help with that.

The drive from LA to Disney is about 45-55 minutes.

I don't think that the tar pits would be recommended for 3 year olds. Since it's a Saturday and traffic is light, you might consider driving up to the L.A. Zoo for a couple of hours, then drive-touring through Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica as you make your way towards LAX airport.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
5. Re: will be in LA for almost 2 days....need help pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 17:20