We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in culver city?

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
staying in culver city?

We're only in LA for 2 days. Arrive 10:30pm May 3, leave May 5 @ 7:30pm. Three families with 3 toddlers (all 3 years old) and a baby in tow.

Anyone have any comments about staying in Culver City? I understand it's close to Beverly Hills/Hollywood and there's a few attractions that are nearby (I think). Thinking of going to Eco Station, Griffith Park, Olvera Street, Santee Alley. Any other recommendations of kid friendly places to check out? Not sure how much time we'll need at each location so not really sure how much we can fit into the day.

Was thinking of Culver City since it's close to a lot of things and I'm sure not, nearly as expensive as Bevery Hills/Hollywood. Looking at bidding via priceline.

Was also considering staying in the LAX area, but it's a bit further from the attractions and have heard it may not be that nice of an area although we're only returning to that location to sleep anyways.

The last time we were in LA, we stayed in Manhattan Beach Marriott. Really nice place and area, but even farther from the attractions. Plus this time we don't plan to go to the beach since our short stay in LA is after a 10 day trip to the Mayan Riviera. I think we'll be all "beached out" by then

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
202 reviews
from US$79.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
182 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-on Hop-off Double...
582 reviews
from US$49.00*
Go Los Angeles Card
129 reviews
from US$85.00*
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,143 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in culver city?

I didn't know that Culver City had any hotels. Are you renting a condo/house? In any event, it's not close to any of the sights you want to see, it's far out of the way.

Priceline has great prices on hotels downtown (which is close to Griffith Park, Olvera and Santee) - look into those.

You should look into Orchid Suites or Celebrity Hollywood - both are all-suite hotels. If you're renting through vrbo, you want to look at West Hollywood, Hollywood Hills, Sunset Plaza.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in culver city?

Culver City should be fine. You are correct. You don't want to stay near LAX. I have some suggestions as the father of three children the same age as yours.

1) Near Olvera Street is Philippe's Restaurant. It is two blocks up Alameda (just past the gas station). This is an old-fashioned place and very kid-friendly. Skip the Mexican food at Olvera Street except for the churros, which are very good. Be sure to visit the very well-hidden historic adobe.

2) Santee Alley is not so kid-friendly. The crowds can get very intense and the shoppers really packed. Might be a side trip for the moms. Definitely worth visiting if you like shopping for clothes.

3) The Farmer's Market/Grove at Fairfax & Third is great for families with children. There's an open food court which is excellent (except the Chinese). Kids also like the trolley.

4) If you're lucky, Angels Flight should be up and running by next May. This is a tiny funicular railroad which runs from Hill Street up to California Plaza. Kids love it. (I do, too.) Disney Hall and the Cathedral are both a couple of blocks down on Grand Avenue. Both are very kid-friendly. There's a lovely park on the roof of Disney. There's a nice play area at the Cathedral.

5) If you get to Griffith Park, be sure to visit the Fern Dell. This is a nice place to take kids. There are some trails which parallel a stream. Just right for your kids' age.

6) I'd highly recommend the Science Center just south of USC at Exposition Park. Great for kids and free to boot. The Natural History Museum is right next door, too.

There are so many other options. But, these are just a few suggestions.

HTH. Have fun!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in culver city?

Eco station is only open to the public on weekends so you won't be able to go there. See http://www.ecostation.org/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in culver city?

Since you are not going to be here very long I would not suggest staying in Culver City either. I have friends that live there, its a nice area and they are building up the downtown area. But since you want to see certain things you should stay closer to those attractions.

I am sure with such a short amount of time and kids, you don't want to be stuck in LA traffic.

Also since May 5th is Cinco de Mayo there will probably be big celebrations during that time at Olvera Street.

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in culver city?

thx for your suggestions.

btw, eco station is open fri, sat & sun. so we're around on those days. was thinking of going on sat since they have a children's cinco de mayo celebration. anyone know how much time we should alot to eco station? ie. is it small, big, etc?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,093 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in culver city?

I hope you are planning on renting a car. It will be indispensible for Griffith Park and an absoiute necessity if you stay in Culver City.

I'm with Yogachik. Culver City is a little bit far away from most of what you want to see (the southern part of Culver City is close to LAX!) and with toddlers and a baby, you want to be in the traffic as little as possible.

Somewhere in downtown, Hollywood, or in between.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in culver city?

The only reason I'd stay in CC is because of price (I stayed at the CC Radisson for $79/night fairly recently) and not because of its proximity to Olvera St., etc.

If you are on a budget, have you looked at some of the lower-end hotel/motel (i.e. Best Western, Clarion) in West LA?

Burnaby, BC CANADA
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in culver city?

appreciate the replies. As mentioned LA is a bonus on our way home from mexico (had to stay over night to catch a morning flight so figured might as well extend it a bit, since we already have to pay for one hote). So, since we're at the tail end of our trip, figure we'd like to be frugal.

here's the priceline map

…priceline.com/hotels/…357.gif

How is Brentwood/Westwood as a neighbourhood?

btw, anyone know of a good LA map that shows most of the main attractions? Would like to know where Eco Station, Griffiths Park, Olvera St, etc are in relation to each other.

And yes, we will be renting cars.

Haven't looked at other hotels as i'm sure i can get something decent through priceline (although we're booking 3 rooms this time so may not be as easy). My sister's got a contact at the Grafton on Sunset for $100, which i guess isn't bad. It's in a central location, but i understand it's not the best place for families since it's more party central location and i hear there can be lots of noise.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying in culver city?

We were last at Eco Station a couple of years ago. It's very interesting, but small. It consisted then (and now, as far as I know) of exotic animals that had been abandoned by people who thought they would make good pets! It's by tour only and lasted about an hour. It is rather "talky", not like a zoo.

BTW, their web site says they are open for public tours Sat-Sun, school tours Mon-Fri

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying in culver city?

"Would like to know where Eco Station, Griffiths Park, Olvera St, etc are in relation to each other."

Go to the website of each of these attractions.

Find the address.

Go to maps.google.com and fill them in. The site will even tell you how far apart they are in both distance and time (sans traffic, of course).

Oh, and Brentwood/Westwood is one of the better neighborhoods in LA.