We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
Which hotel?

Hi

I’m looking for some advice about hotels please. We are travelling with our 8 year old daughter. After reading the forums and asking some questions of you guys we think the Grove area is probably best suited for us. It sounds like it would be a good base for sightseeing and we’d be able to walk to some local restaurants in the evening.

I think we’ve decided it’s a choice between the Farmers Daughter, Elan and the Sofitel. They all seem to get good reviews and looking at the map are fairly near each other. Just wondering if any one of them is better located for places to eat in the evening or is more child friendly? As that might help with our decision.

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,426 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Which hotel?

As you know, the Elan and the Sofitel are about 2 minutes apart from one another so there's no significant difference between the two as far as location is concerned. The Sofitel (4-star) is a large, corporate 4-star; the Elan (3-strs) is a small boutique-style hotel with fewer amenities (no dining, no spa, etc). Both hotels are adjacent to the massive Beverly Center (upmarket) shopping mall and the Beverly Connection (discount/mini-outlet mall)

The Farmers Daughter is at the opposing end of the Beverly Grove neighborhood -- about 1.1 miles / 1.8 km to the east. It is within easy walking distance to the Grove (mid-range shopping) and the Farmers Market. The hotel is a former 2-star motel that has been remodeled in a farm motif and upgraded to a 3-star.

Both ends of the district have dining and it's easy to move from one end toward the other either on foot or via the buses that run along 3rd St or Beverly Bl. If you are planning to use public transit, the Farmers Daughter has a slight advantage in that there are buses passing in front of the hotel (and stopping nearby) that head north to Hollywood and south to the museums ILa Brea Tar Pits, Petersen Automotive Museum, etc). If you stayed at the western end of the district, you'd have to first take an eastbound bus to Fairfax Av and then transfer to a north/south bus -- not a big deal, really.

As far as child-friendly, none of these are child-unfriendly. As said, the Sofitel is large and corporate looking -- door after door along long hallways. The elan is much smaller and boutique in appearance. The Farmers Daughter has a farm motif -- pictures of cows painted on the walls, etc so if you think that would delight your child then that would give the FD an edge over the others.

You might also look at the Orlando Hotel which is also at the western end of the district. Unlike the Elan, this small 3-star boutique hotel has a small but nice pool area and is across the road from the Magnolica Bakery which has good coffee in the mornings and a lemon-poppy seed bread that I like (along with banana pudding, red velvet cupcakes, etc. Google them -- they're in New York as well).

Happy Planning!

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,292 posts
435 reviews
2. Re: Which hotel?

Personally I would choose the Farmer's Daughter as I find the other area more adult oriented.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
3. Re: Which hotel?

Hi

Thanks for the helpful replies. We will have a rental car so will be driving to places.

We haven't worked out an itinerary yet but La Brea tar pits is one of the must sees on our list, along with the science centre and Griffith Observatory. I've been looking at the map and is La Brea walkable from the farmers daughter? It looks easily walkable but I know LA isn't a walking city so I'm not sure if it's really practical?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Which hotel?

What do you mean by walkable?

Vista, California
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
5. Re: Which hotel?

"We haven't worked out an itinerary yet but La Brea tar pits is one of the must sees on our list, along with the science centre and Griffith Observatory. I've been looking at the map and is La Brea walkable from the farmers daughter? It looks easily walkable but I know LA isn't a walking city so I'm not sure if it's really practical?"

The only one that's walkable is the La Brea tar pits and the next door art museum. It would be quite a walk and I'd not recommend it. At least use Uber. When you say the "science center" are you talking about the CA Science Center? It's downtown nowhere near any of the other things on your list. LA is a car city.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
6. Re: Which hotel?

Hi

Thank you sorry I think I might not have been very clear. In answer to your question yes I did mean the California Science Centre which I realise is downtown and we would need to use the car to get there.

My question about walking was specifically about walking from The Farmers Daughter to La Brea tar pits. When I looked on the map it looked like it was only a 2 or 3 minute drive. Here if something was that close I would never drive and would always walk but wasn't sure if LA is like that.

I'm used to London and other European cities which are very easy to walk around. If i was in touristy parts of central London I would always prefer to get about mainly by walking with an occasional tube trip. This will be our first time in the US but I have been told that many places are designed for cars not pedestrians and so even for a short distance which would be physically possible to walk it might not be actually practical. Hence the reason for my question but as I say apologies if I wasn't clear. It seems from what you're saying that the answer is it isn't practical to walk.

7. Re: Which hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 January 2018, 22:01

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,457 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: Which hotel?

Yes you can easily walk from Farmer's Daughter to the Tar Pits. Easy peasy.

Don't miss the Petersen Museum and LACMA, both right there. Also don't miss the Broad museum, the Santa Monica downtown area and Pier, and Griffith Park.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,426 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: Which hotel?

You can walk there: http://mapq.st/2GgYbcu (it takes about 25 minutes)

but the route isn't terribly interesting.

Los Angeles does not resemble most cities -- in particular, European cities, because the height of our buildings is a lot less and the width of our roads is much wider. As you take this walk, you'll see apartments from the massive Park La Brea apartment complex on one side of the road and some local shops of little interest on the other. And of course, there will be lots of traffic along Fairfax Avenue so you'll hear a steady drone of that. After making the walk, you might decide to take the bus back. There are frequent buses that run along Fairfax Avenue and the fare is just $1.75 per person. For the four of you, the bus fare will be seven dollars ($1.75 each) You must have exact money to ride the bus as no change is provided..

You can certainly walk within the district– The most walkable area is along third Street heading west from Fairfax Avenue to La Cienega Blvd. at the western and of the district– About 1 1/2 miles (2.4 km) In length. Again, if you get tired of walking you can hop on one of the buses that runs along third Street for $1.75 per person. I hate to drive on my holidays so, if it were me, I would buy a day pass for $7 per person and carry it with me. Like London, driving can be a little bit of a headache because it takes time to park and unpark your car. For example, at the tar pits, there are two above-ground parking lots–one in the north east corner of the grounds and one on the south Side of Wilshire Blvd, across from the main entrance to LACMA. Those parking areas are often full and, if they are, you'll need to enter the subterranean carpark which is in the northwest corner of the grounds. Descending the ramps and driving up and down the aisles will take up time as will driving from one parking option to the next. I would much rather take the bus to this area from the Farmer's daughter (Four minutes) then to hassle with all of that.

If you plan to go to the tar pits on the same day as the California science Center(A good idea since you can buy a ticket that will give you admission to both), and if you decide to either walk or take the bus to the tar pits, you can then head to the California science Center by public transit with little difficulty. Here's what you do:

1. Take any southbound bus on Fairfax Avenue to the la Cienega Jefferson Station of the Expo metro rail.

2. Take the Expo line eastbound to the Expo Park USC station.

The train stops in front of the Rose garden which is in front of the museum.

The entire transfer cost is $1.75 per person, each way or buy a $7 day pass for unlimited rides on the Metro rail and metro bus. Compare that to paying $12 dollars to park at the Museum plus the cost of petrol, plus the cost of the car hire hire for the day plus the cost of overnight parking at your hotel ($24/day).

Up to you!

Yes, having a car in Los Angeles can be handy but if your itinerary is such that public transit can step in easily, I would much prefer to ride the bus or train than to hassle with a car. You'll have much more leg room, and you'll have a much better view since you will be sitting higher up.

Happy planning.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
10. Re: Which hotel?

Hi

Thanks a lot for all the replies and the info about buses/trains it's really helpful.

We will have a rental car anyway when we arrive in L.A. but if there are days we don't need it that's a bonus.

I had wondered if we could return the car when we arrive in the city but I'm not sure if all our planned visits would be possible by bus or train. One day we plan to visit universal studios. I'm hoping it won't take a whole day and that after universal we can visit Griffith observatory and maybe Hollywood walk of fame and the surrounding area. From looking at Google maps and reading other posts it seems it might make more sense to drive on that day is that right?

Reply to: Which hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted