We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, TX
6 posts
Save Topic
Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Looking for a hotel to stay at about halfway between LA and Anaheim. Would like free parking, free breakfast and queen beds. Don't know anything about some of the 'towns' along the way (i.e. Downey, Norwalk). Also considering staying around LAX as it will be where we fly out. Any recommendations? Hopefully $80-130/night.

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

TravelPlanlt,

Welcome to TripAdvisor

You might check Long Beach which would be roughly halfway between LA and Anaheim. You could check the hotel reviews here on TA for hotels in any of the cities in which you would be interested in staying. Some hotel suggestions for Long Beach would be the The Coast Hotel, which is near the Queen Mary, or the Westin or Hilton, both on Ocean Blvd., As well as the Hyatt on Pine Ave. I'm not sure if any of them have a free breakfast, parking or Queen bed, but somebody else here might know for sure.

I would NOTrecommend staying in Norwalk or Downey, even though they are at the halway distance between Anahiem and L.A. since Norwalk and Downey don't really have much to offer an out of town visitor in the way of entertainment.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,084 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the reason you are looking for a hotel that is "halfway between LA and Anaheim" is that part of the time you will be enjoying the Disneyland area and part of the time, you will be exploring L.A. Is that right?

If so, keep in mind that most maps show LOS ANGELES as centering on the downtown area which is at the intersection of the 5, 10 and 110 freeways. Unfortunately, downtown is not in the CENTER of Los Angeles. It is at the eastern end of the city. So, if you're going to be exploring ALL of the L.A. metro area, you need to place your endpoints at Anaheim (at the southeast) and Santa Monica (at the west -- on the ocean).

When you do this, the centerpoint of this range is very close to the aforementioned downtown Los Angeles.

Downtown L.A.. is a good place to stay for you in that it has some interesting attractions as well as access to some popular places in the city via public transit. It is also, as mentioned above, at the intersection of a number of major freeways, so it's easy to get from place to place.

Here's a link to downtown hotels.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

There is little doubt that you can find a place that would be in your price range but the free parking might be hard to find. (Of course, if you give up your car during part of the L.A. portion of your vacation, you won't need to pay for parking). Regarding breakfast, I have rarely heard of a free hotel breakfast that was anything special. There are tons of places for breakfast all over L.A. I wouldn't disqualify a hotel because it didn't offer breakfast.

On the low end is the Metro Plaza (formerly the Days Inn) at 711 North Main Street. This hotel is between Chinatown and the Union (train) station -- the latter of which provides easy access to Disneyland (35 minutes on the train followed by a 10-minute taxi ride) or Hollywood (15 minutes by metro rail) or Santa Monica (1 hour by bus). Of course, you could drive to any of these locations as well. The hotel provides a modest free breakfast. Parking used to be free when the property was a DAYS INN. I don't know the current situation.

On the high-end of your price range, consider the Miyako Hotel in the "Little Tokyo" section of downtown. Also, conveniently located with good access to the metro rail and Union Station.

Good luck!

Midland, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Thanks for your response. This is a family vacation as 9 of us will be traveling together (from 8 to a spry 82). The couple with the 8 year old wants to go to Disneyland, don't know that the rest of us will and half of us (women) want to go to Rodeo Drive and possibly spend some time in a spa and maybe try to see Wicked while there. Other than that, we didn't have anything planned. We don't want to stay at a dead run trying to see everything, so we were actually trying to keep in mind to slow down and rest and maybe spend some time at the beach enjoying the view. Does that change any of your hotel recommendations? What about spas in the area?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Check the reviews of the Downey Embassy Suites. This meets your specific requirements regarding location, free breakfast and queen beds as well as an all suite hotel. True, Downey does not have many tourist attractions, but it is a reasonably safe city, located mid way between Downtown Los Angeles and Anaheim. I was recently there and noticed the old fashioned 1953 McDonald's (oldest McDonald's in existance) that reminded me of my youth. It is located at 10207 Lakewood Blvd. at Florence Ave.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32308-d7677…

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

I think you'll be very disappointed if you spend your vacation time in the Downey area. Stay out near LAX, maybe down in Manhattan Beach or up in Marina del Rey. The Marina is probably a little more practical to what you want to do and see in the L.A. area, but Manhattan Beach has more "suite" or "family" type hotels.

Your price range would depend on what month you're coming which you don't mention. Hotels near the ocean go up in summer as well as on weekend nights.

Take a look at FoghornHotel in the Marina, Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach (their 2 bedroom suites quite spacious, sleep 5)...Quality Inn Hermosa Beach.

I really think a 40 min drive on Disney days is better than to base yourself somewhere that is definitely not "vacation territory"!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Manhattan Beach or the Marina are nice areas in themselves and more suited to relaxing by the beach, etc. However, they are inconvenient when visiting many of the attractions of the greater L.A. area which are spread out enough as it is. So this is something you have to consider. Further, your hotel budget is on the low side, especially for these nicer beach/marina areas, so that is an additional consideration.

One final point: I would not recommend staying in the immediate LAX area which is neither convenient nor a nice area itself. The only exception might be if you had a very early flight and wanted to take advantage of those hotels' free airport shuttle.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

I recommend staying in Hollywood, where you can sightsee, and the others can easily get to Disneyland = there are many tours and services that can take them there, as well as public transportation. Look into Orchid Suites or Hollywood Celebrity for safe, clean, all-suite hotels within your budget.

As others have said, but is worth repeating - do not stay in Downey, or Norwalk, or anywhere "in between".

Another thing - most people fly in and out of LAX, but we never recommend anyone stay there. You'll spend most of your vacation in your car, in traffic.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Also - when you settle on a hotel/area, tell us where, and we can recommend a day spa. There's no shortage of spas in LA

Midland, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Thanks to all who replied, it made trip planning so much easier. We have settled on the Coast Hotel in Long Beach. Decided to splurge a little bit. We will be traveling during the first part of June. Any recommendations for a day spa?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel options between LA and Anaheim

Long Beach is an attractive and underrated part of the Los Angeles area, so you should enjoy staying there. I don't believe the Coast Hotel offers free breakfast or free parking however, nor is Long Beach the most convenient location for access to Disneyland or most attractions of Los Angeles, but as I said it is an attractive area unto itself, so it could be the right choice for you.