We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches - are they really that beautiful?

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches - are they really that beautiful?

Or is it an attraction coz of the people that hang out there? I am just curious coz I read in many sites that it's a good place to people watch. None mentioned about the beauty of the beaches. I know Australia has beautiful beaches. I've been to Surfers Paradise in Gold Coast and shell beach (one of the only two in the world) in Western Australia. They're beautiful. Shell beach has crystal clear waters where you can see your own feet and the shells beneath.

Are the beaches mentioned nice for what it is? or for people watching and partying?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches - are they really that beautiful?

HI Gemsy,

I've been to the beaches in Hawaii all of the islands, the Caribbean-Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and St Marteen, and the beaches in SE Asia. They are all very beautiful and different from each other. The beaches in CA are also very different, and unique. My favorite beach in SoCal is Laguna Beach. It's beautiful. That's why there are many artists there and Laguna is more of an artsy beach, just the beauty of it inspires them. Santa Barbara is another pretty place, a beach, with a beautiful downtown filled with Spanish tiled Rooftops, and with the mountains and hills in the background. The waters in California aren't crystal blue/clear and warm as other beaches, but each beach has a different type of character, ambiance, and atmosphere. Some beaches are for people watching and partying. Hermosa and Huntington attracts the younger crowd. There's a lot of clubs and bars around Santa Monica and is a popular beach hangout for locals and tourists alike. Venice Beach has a culture of it's own that you can't see anywhere else. There is a long path on the beach that stretches for miles where you can bike ride, walk, or roller blade along the beach. Malibu attracts the surfers and the rich and famous. If you ever get a chance to drive Pacific Coast HIghway 1 from North to South or vice versa, it's a miles and miles and miles of just gorgeous coastline. Each view will be different from the other.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches - are they really that beautiful?

Southern California beaches are NOT aesthetically beautiful. No crystal clear water here, the waves hit the shoreline and bring up a lot of sediment, making it muddy-looking most of the time. The exception would be if you took a boat over to Catalina Island, those waters are clear. But still not like Hawaii etc.

The beaches are nice for people watching, and are nice if you are a suburbanite wanting to get out of your neighborhood for the day :).

manhatan beach, ca
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches - are they really that beautiful?

On my thoughts with this question, that really depends on the meaning of beautiful. If it's clear and warm waters, then Southern California beaches do not have this trait. People go to Hawaii or Mexico for these type of beaches. But for nice sunsets, people watching, and even the some of the sceneries mentioned by the first poster, then yes, some consider our beaches beautiful. Have been to Hawaii a few times, and it's great place to visit. But I'd rather live here in Manhattan Beach or possibly Santa Barbara. For me, these beaches are beautiful.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches - are they really that beautiful?

For me, the most beautiful coastline is where there aren't any towns. That's easiest to find along the Pacific Coast Highway between Morro Bay and Monterey. The Carmel coast is supreme. Visit Pt Lobos State Reserve. The Channel Islands are also quite beautiful.

If you're looking for the combination of beautiful coast and beautiful people, then I would look at Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur, Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach and the Central Coast (Pismo to Morro Bay).

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/

http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/

http://www.nps.gov/chis/