We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canters deli ????

Brisbane-Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canters deli ????

We are staying @ Travelodge on Pico Santa Monica on fri & sat

We would like to have lunch @ Canters deli on Fairfax Ave

which would be the best way to get there and how much $$$

as we are not renting a car.

TX Tastysirloin

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canters deli ????

It will take you about 45 minutes one way to get there by bus. You take the # 7 Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (75 cents and ask for a transfer) to Pico and Fairfax, from there you take the Metro Bus #780 heading north to Fairfax and Beverly Blvd and you are at your destination

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canters deli ????

It will take you about 45 minutes one way to get there by bus. You take the # 7 Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (75 cents and ask for a transfer) to Pico and Fairfax, from there you take the Metro Bus #780 heading north to Fairfax and Beverly Blvd and you are at your destination

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
221 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canters deli ????

Any particular reason you want to eat at Canter's? I would highly suggest looking elsewhere - even the little diner at the Farmer's Market in my opinion is better than Canter's. I haven't been there in a long time, so maybe it's changed, but it was kind of dirty and the food really was not good.

Sorry to be negative, but you're traveling and there are so many good restaurants - just wanted to give you my 2cents.

Patuli

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canters deli ????

I have to agree, I was dissapointed in Canter's--it's OK, just really an average deli.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canters deli ????

I love Canter's and eat there once on every trip back to LA (at least once a year). Their pastrami and corned beef is melt-in-your-mouth wonderful. Their stuffed cabbage will make you think you're in Lithuania at the turn of the century, and their tongue sandwhich will make you cry like a baby. Their motzoh balls are wonderfully fluffy and the chicken broth sublime (I've tried for years to duplicate their broth and cannot). Their bean soup is a meal in itself.

I'm not trying to start an arguement with the previous poster who did not like it, but I can only imagine that he/she did not order traditional Jewish food. You don't go to Canter's for a burger and their fries are mediocre. I cannot imagine what their Italian items might be like (probably bad). Oy veh to those who order that stuff at a Jewish deli. As a waitress at a famous east coast deli once told my father, "You come to Jewish deli and order spaghetti? It's lousy here??

And I haven't even mentioned the bakery at the front of the store. It's heaven -- their pastries are immeasurably better than what you get in a supermarket -- but I've gone on too long already.

And it's not dirty at all. The decore is a bit tired and dated, but not dirty. The bathrooms could be cleaner, however, I have to say.

Oh, one more thing -- there's another deli, Langer's, that is the equal of Cantors without the bakery (but arguably has a better brisket sandwhich). Langers is at 6th and Alvarado (might be 7th and Alvarado, not sure) in a very run-down area. But it's accessible by subway and the food is great.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canters deli ????

Some years ago, Los Angeles County initiated a rating system for fod safety in restaurants. Periodically, restaurants are inspected and a letter (A,B,C,D, or F) is posted near the entrance to the property. Initially, Canters did miserably (I can't remember if it was "Ds" or "Fs" but it was pretty bad and it wemt on for several inspection periods. Rat dropping, cockroaches, etc were continually cited in their reports. Now I know there are those who will say: "Every restaurant has its share of bugs and vermin. There is so much food being handled, it's hard to control the pests".

However, when I walked into Canters after their health-rating improved, I spotted a palm-sized water bug INSIDE the refrigerated case where the aforementioned "melt in your mouth" pastrami is located and that was the last time I set foot in Canters.

My suggestion is to go to Juniors, an excellent deli at

2379 Westwood Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90064-2109

Phone: (310) 475-5771

It is just 2 doors north of Pico Bl so you can take the #7 Santa Monica bus from the corner of 30th Street & Pico Bl (1 block west of your hotel) going EASTBOUND to Pico Bl & Westwood Bl (at the corner of the Westside Pavilion shopping mall). Get off the bus and turn left on Westwood Bl and you're there. I guarantee the Pastrami, matzoh ball soup and turkey (my favorite) will taste just as good as Canters and you won't see a water bug inside the cold cut case!

Here is a little more about Juniors:

www.lacitybeat.com/article.php…

Enjoy!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canters deli ????

Btw, the bus ride is about 12 minutes

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canters deli ????

add me to the negative reviews of canters.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canters deli ????

Add me too, and I am Jewish and grew up in Boston with a New York mother, so I feel like I am well enough qualified to judge. It's also way overpriced.

The Deli HopSkipJump posted is also way closer to Santa Monica and thus much easier to get to via bus. Haven't been there but it can't be worse than Canter's!

Frazier Park...
Level Contributor
451 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canters deli ????

Hi, I have to mention my all-time favorite LA deli: Greenblatt's. It's probably the most expensive deli in LA, but it is oh so good. It's in the same building as the Laugh Factory on Sunset Blvd...