We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much for one day????

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
436 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Too much for one day????

Me again…LOL!

Okay coming to La in August (SO EXCITED)… need to see if you think this is too much for the first day!

Fly in…(3 hour flight form Houston) arrive at noon (planned 1 hour for luggage and car rental pick up)

Go to Mann’s, walk, see that area…have lunch…

Then see Hollywood sign (take a few pics)

Drive to Getty museum for the rest of afternoon/evening (want to see museum PLUS views day/night)

We can check in out condo anytime!

What do you think… if not we will plan the musues the following Friday afternoon!

Thanks SO much…

You guys are a HUGE help

Amy

Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much for one day????

Sounds great. You know, I go to Getty often, beautiful, you won't be disappointed - however, that is a full day activity in itself. The museum is huge, the gardens huge - and don't forget that there is a great restaurant w/views at the Getty (make reservations). Enjoy.

Also the mann and hollywood sign are very quick - you might want to check out Chinatown in the same area

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
436 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much for one day????

Thanks!!!!!

We are the type people that go on vacation to see/do as much as possible!!!!!! We can rest when we get home..LOL!!!!!!!

Amy

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,031 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much for one day????

Totally and completely doable - sounds perfect to me.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,031 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much for one day????

by the way - Chinatown is totally NOT in the same area..

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
436 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much for one day????

Thanks yoga chick.. I was thinking China town was closer to downtown???

I have a few other questions if you don’t mind…

The PCH is a BIG thing for us… I was planning on driving UP the coast…just take out time…turn around whenever… we were planning a whole day…starting out around 7 A M… then ending at Santa Monica/ Venice or Malibu for dinner and light shopping…

ALSO.. We want to do PCH towards San Diego… should we take 2 whole days for this??? It is totally fine with us… we will be there for 7 nights…. Just wondering 2 days…or do it all in 1 day????

The other thing is Palm Springs… is it worth a day trip???? I know this is as close as I will be to it… just looking for thoughts…

Thanks SO MUCH!

Amy

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,031 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too much for one day????

I think Palm Springs is a worthwhile side trip, but it's an overnighter, at the very least. Not because it's far, but because the drive itself goes through some of the most congested areas of LA (on the 10) and it can be awful.

Definitely spend a day starting with breakfast in Malibu (so many great spots to choose from), and work your way to Santa Monica and Venice (SM for lunch, Venice for dinner!). Great shopping, really beautiful drive down the coast...

There isn't really a highway that takes you down the coast to San Diego, but it is worth taking a couple of days to visit each beach town (starting with Hermosa/Redondo, then to Huntington, then Newport, Corona del Mar, Laguna, La Jolla...) Overnight in Laguna Beach, for sure.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
436 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too much for one day????

Thanks so much!!!

Helps a lot with my itinerary!!!!

Amy

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too much for one day????

Deffinatly spent a night in Palm Springs, it's the perfect place to relax and have some time by the pool

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
446 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too much for one day????

Palm Springs...just remember it will be super hot out there in August....personally if I was only going to be in LA for a week ( I think that's what you said) - I would skip it. There are so many better places to visit up and down the coast. But, that's just my opinion.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
473 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too much for one day????

On your limited time, I would definitely skip Palm Springs. There's really not much to see. It's just a small town in the middle of nowhere. It's relaxing, but I would say that that is about it. Plus, you would have to stay overnight.