We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in L.A.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
643 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
A week in L.A.

Hi.

Can anyone advise me whether I should split my L.A. holiday. We are wanting to see the sights of central L.A. (Stars Homes tour, visit Hollywood, Universal etc) but also perhaps spend a few days at the beach - Santa Monica being a possibility. Obviously, being from the U.K. we will also want to do some shopping! We are thinking of visiting either September or mid to late October. Will it be warm enough to sunbathe?

I'm thinking of splitting our time having 4 nights at say the Renaissance Hollywood and then moving on to a beach area for 3 or 4 more nights. Best of both worlds?

As we will not have a hire car I was thinking it may be an advantage to have nights in both places - spending four days in Hollywood seeing the sights there and then moving onto a beach area where we can then relax and explore Venice beach etc.

I suppose we (there will be 4 adults + suitcases) will need to get a taxi cab between Hollywood and Santa Monica?

Any advice anyone can offer will be appreciated. Likewise recommendations of nice hotels. Anyone recommend alternatives to Renaissance Hollywood - perhaps a little cheaper but still in a central location.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,732 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in L.A.

Your idea makes sense and it is recommended often, here on the forum.

Here are links to the hotels of Hollywood and those of Santa Monica. The lists are in order of traveler preference -- first is best -- based on reviews submitted to Trip Advisor by your fellow travelers:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33052-Santa_Monica_C…

Our summers tend to run long so sometimes October can be warm. However, September is less risky so I'd opt for traveling then. (Honestly, though our temperatures, year round, are quite moderate).

Depending on the amount of luggage you have, you might want to order a larger taxi. Your hotel's concierge can assist you. The other option is to use public transit -- a lot cheaper -- but a hardship with luggage.

The next best Hollywood hotel option is the Magic Castle Hotel (in the list above).

Good luck!

2. Re: A week in L.A.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 16:17