We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to SanDiego

Devon
5 posts
Save Topic
LA to SanDiego

We are 2 adults arriving in LA at 19.45pm (also have to collect our luggage) and want to head to San Diego to see Ocean park etc.

1.As we arrive in the evening would it be better to stay overnight in La or is it possible to travel straight to San Diego?

2.Should we really see something of LA whilst we are here?

3.We plan to travel from San Diego towards Las Vegas, can you do this on public transport (ie train) or is it better to hire a car?

4. After a couple of nights in LV then I think we will need a car to look at the Grand Canyon etc.

5. We are due to fly out of San Francisco and I believe you can fly from LV to SF as it is a long way to drive.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to SanDiego

1. It is about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive to San Diego without traffic. If you are taking public transportation it will be longer. To take public transportation you will need to catch the flyaway bus to Union Station and then the Amtrak (train) to San Diego. I am not sure of the schedule - you'll want to check in making plans. As you are getting in late at night, and have had a long flight, I would suggest staying in LA for the evening.

2. There is so much to see in Los Angeles - it just depends what you enjoy - but to try to shove it into a few hours one evening, would be doing it an injustice.

3. You can fly from San Diego to Las Vega and Las Vegas to San Francisco easily. Try Southwest Airlines - they have cheap internal flights. www.iflyswa.com

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to SanDiego

4. If you want to avoid driving while you're here, there are several tour companies that do an LV-Grand Canyon route. The advantage would be that you don't have to plan anything and they'll take you to a few places (like Hoover Dam, Lake Mead), but the disadvantage is that you don't have the freedom of a car (and a car may be less expensive overall).

The advice above on travel LA-SD-LV-SF is good. It was unclear how you were getting to SD from LA. If you have to deal with public transport after having flown in from overseas, you might consider staying a night just to give yourselves a break and head out the next day. This wouldn't be so you could see anything in LA, it would just be to give you time before facing a bus/train to SD.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to SanDiego

1. What are you visiting in San Diego? You said you want to see "Ocean park etc". What do you mean?

2. Los Angeles is the second largest city in the U.S. Why not spend some time here?

Devon
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to SanDiego

Hi thank you for all your replys, getting really excited about our trip now.

We will stop overnight in La or maybe 2 nights (will have to research what to see) and then go on to San Diego, it is Sea World I would like to visit to see the Dolphins or swim with them and I understand there is an aircraft carrier which my husband would like to see. We thought 2 days (3 nights) would be enough?

I have looked on internal airline info sites and from LV to San Francisco is about £50/60 for two, I didn't think about flying from San Diego to LV.

We need to sit and plan our trip so that we can book some hotels, but we want to stop in San Francisco for at least 3 nights before we fly home (via New York for 3 days)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,084 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA to SanDiego

Although you can fly to San Diego, it's really not worth it in my opinion. With securite, having to be there an hour and half before departure e.t.c. I would just take the train. Another advantage of the train is that you ride the second half mostly travels along the ocean with breathtaking views

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA to SanDiego

I would definetly take the Amtrak to San Diego as it is a very pleasant trip and as mentioned previously has some wonderful views once you get along the coast line. We paid extra (about $25 extra) and got the business class seats, which gave larger reclining seats, free drinks and snacks and it was well worth it. We booked before we left Australia via the Amtrak website and got a discount by using our Racq Card which is the equivalent of the America AA (automobible assoc.).

In Los Angeles we stayed at the Renaissance Hollywood (3 nights)which was a perfect base for us as we were using public transport, we visited Santa Monica, The Fashion District, The Grove, and The Hollywood walk of fame etc which was located right outside our hotel complex, even got to see Brad Pitt and Matt Damon after they attended the Oceans 13 premier at the Chinese Theatre.

In San Diego we stayed at the Marriot Gaslamp which was accessible via the trolley when we arrived and was only a couple of minutes walk from the Gaslamp trolley stop (we purchased a 3 day unlimited pass for $12 which we could use on the trolley and buses). We used public transport to visit Seaworld, Outlets on the Mexican Border and Tiajuana, The Midway (aircraft carrier) and Seaport Village etc etc.

We then flew to Las Vegas (booked early and picked up $50 flights via the America West website) and stayed at the Bellagio (got a fantastic $149 a night rate with free upgrade to Lakeview room with a promo code posted on the Vegas forum). We did a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon which was great. After 4 nights in Vegas we flew to San Francisco (stayed at the Parc 55 which is accessible via Bart from the Airport $5.15 per person).

I would visit all the different forums of the locations you are visiting as they all contain a wealth of information that was invaluable to us.

Good luck and have fun.

Devon
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA to SanDiego

Oh Mole you have done the same sort ot thing we are hoping to do, thanks so much for the info. We are also spending 4days in New York on the way back too. I will look at the other sites as you suggest.

Bye for now...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA to SanDiego

You are very welcome, enjoy your trip I'm sure you will have a great trip like we did.

9. Re: LA to SanDiego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 18:18