We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending time between flights

Tel Aviv District...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spending time between flights

Hi,

My wife and I are going to spend 10 hours at LAX between flights, we arrive at 6AM and leave in 4PM, we thought of getting out the airport for a short visit... but where?? we are flying tomorrow night...

Thanx,

Yuval.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,130 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending time between flights

Take a taxi to Santa Monica/Third Street Promenade. Stroll around a little on the promenade, have lunch, visit the pier, which is about two blocks from there and take in the ocean.

There are plenty of taxis in that area, plus you could go into any restaurant/coffeshop and ask them to call you a taxi. They will gladly assist you.

LAX is not more than 20/25 minutes from LAX, i would give myself plenty of time for the returntrip(you never know about traffic), so you want to plan to head back to the airport no later then 1Pm if you transfer to an international flight and 2pm if it is domestic

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,666 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending time between flights

First, figure out what you will do with your luggage. There is no storage, and you cannot check bags prior to 4 hours before the flight.

I recommend renting a car, putting your luggage in the trunk, and driving to either Santa Monica or Manhattan/Hermosa Beach, have breakfast, shop, have lunch...and be back at LAX 2 hours prior to your flight - this summer is a congestion nightmare and it takes over an hour to clear security, at least.

Both of those beach areas are about 15-20 minutes from LAX - there's more to do in Santa Monica, but Manhattan is a lovely, small, California beach town.

Tel Aviv District...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending time between flights

Can er rent a car right there without prior resrvation? since there is an earlier "version" of our flight in 8AM and we want to try get on it (maybe there was a last minute cancellation...).

Thx

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,732 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending time between flights

You will get a better rate if you reserve over the internet but you can do that at the airport, if necessary. Actually, you can make reservations, before you leave and if you arrive at the rental company 1 or 2 hours early or late, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

5. Re: Spending time between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 00:20