We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help regarding booking my vacation...

Kentucky
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I need help regarding booking my vacation...

So I'm ready to book my vacay for next year (May). I will be flying into Vegas and staying for 3 days then driving over to LA to stay three days. What would be the best way to book this? I dont want to pay for it all now, so I could book the tickets first..then the hotels later on.

Question....on LA hotels, something practical is fine..doesnt' have to be 4 or 5 star. What hotels do you recommend as I will be driving in and visiting the Hollywood sign, Sunset Blvd., Ocean, Walk of Fame, etc..??

Thanks,

Natalie

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,089 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help regarding booking my vacation...

Hi, Natalie

Are you planning on driving back to Vegas and flying home from there? If not, the rental car company will charge you extra for picking up the car in one state and dropping it in another.

You might consider flying from LV to L.A. Southwest Airlines (southwest.com) has cheap flights into Bob Hope Airport (airport code BUR) in Burbank, CA -- near Hollywood as well as into LAX (LA International). The flight takes about an hour compared to 5 hours or so driving.

This way, when you return the car in L.A. there will be no extra charge. That's a savings of between $35 and $100 plus the cost of gasoline from LV to LA (about $40 at present gasoline prices). So, that leaves you at least $75 for the plane ticket. (Presently, Southwest is offering tickets for $49 so you'll save money AND time by flying).

L.A. is very spread out. Most of what you've listed above is in the Hollywood area (except the ocean). The least expensive area that is a reasonable distance to the ocean is Hollywood. Here are hotels in Hollywood listed in order of preference (the first one in the list is most preferred and then the list declines in preference).

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

(Link and scroll down for the hotels).

The hotels at the top of the list are quite popular and tend to "sell out" quickly so don't wait too long to book them. Often, if you contact the hotel directly (rather than booking through an online travel service), you will not be charged for the room until you use it (or sometimes only the first nights' rent is charged immediately and the rest is charged when you use the room).

If you stay in Hollywood, fly into Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (airport code BUR). This is a small airport (just 2 terminals) handling only 1/10th the traiffic the LAX does.

Have a great vacation.

2. Re: I need help regarding booking my vacation...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 21:18