We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

Leicester
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

Hiya,

Finally booked our flights to Vegas a few weekends ago 168days till we actually arrive!!

But we are spending 5 days in LA as well (as we fly out from LAX), so was wondering what is the best way to get to LA.

Don't really want to fly as this will take up much of the entire day i imagine, so was thinking if it would be easier to drive?

If so how long would it take roughly, is it quite an easy drive and is there anything to do on the way??

Thanks very much

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

The flight from Las Vegas to LA is under an hour. Figure arrive at the airport 1 hour in advance and driving time on each end - total 3 hours or so.

Driving without stops and no traffic is 4 to 5 hours. There are also buses that go back and forth - these take 6-7 hours.

It is a very easy drive - for those of us who live here and have seen the desert - it can be boring, but to many who have never driven it the desert with the mountains rising up to the side can be fascinating.

As I hate dealing with the airport security and checking luggage, etc. we tend to drive it - but the flight is very easy and if you fly on southwest airlines, you can get tickets for as low as $35 each way - sometimes cheaper. If you do fly and if you are staying in the Hollywood area - fly into Burbank Airport. Much smaller and easier to get into and rent a car and a shorter drive to Hollywood.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

I'm one of the locals who has driven the route a couple of times and found it boring. The 4 hour transfer time the Juxie mentions is difficult to attain since it requires that there be no traffic to speak of (which is a rarity in southern California) and, requires that you take, shall we say, an "agressive driving posture". In addition, depending on where you are staying in L.A, you might spend an hour driving across L.A. to get to your hotel. If you want to see some mountains, hire a car in LV and drive to the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead (less than an hour away) or even to the Grand Canyon) but just as some people here on the Forum think that driving is THE ONLY WAY to see L.A., I feel that flying is THE ONLY WAY to transfer between LV and LA. If you do decide to drive, leave at a time where the traffic is at its minimum. (Stay away from driving before 9 in the morning or after 2 in the afternoon, Monday thru Friday).

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

The flight is 45 mins. Southwest.com, Virgin America etc fly it for under $50 one way (check kayak.com as well as they may have sales on other airlines too). It won't take more than 4 hours for the entire turnaround. If you go this route, book 2 months ahead if you can for best flight times.

If you drive, it should take 4-5 hours if there is not traffic. Definitely avoid driving on Friday and on Sunday, and during holiday weekends if you don't want to get stuck in traffic. I also think that there is nothing special about the drive, but others have a different opinion.

Btw, if it's a consideration, you need a car to get around LA.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

You should out this tripadvisor thread where the options are endleely discussed. Plus you will get some reviews from actual tourists and not locals who took the drive (just cut and paste the link)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k145988…

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

Alex put it best in another thread:

"But It is like visiting switzerland and the swiss tripadvisor experts would tell you to rather fly than drive thru the alps. Imagine what you would miss out on..."

ukguy, you must drive. To fly is to miss out on an experience that will stick with you for the rest of your life. Yes, it's that amazing. I feel pity for people who can be presented with such majestic beauty and epic landscapes only to describe them as "boring".

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

To compare the high desert you see from the I-15 to the Swiss Alps is hilarious and absolutely ridiculous.

If you wish to explore the desert go to Mojave National Monument, Joshua Tree or Death Valley. They are much more scenic than the billboards and maniac drivers you see along I-15.

If you enjoy driving 80 miles per hour 10 feet behind cars and semis for 5 hours it will be the thrill of your life! (not necessarily in a good way tho).

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

Hi Uk guy

I was going to answer your question soon after you posted but i had to go to work.The first thing i was going to say was that locals think this drive is boring.Its just the opposite if you have never driven through a desert before you will find it fun.As for places to stop ,first you have Primm which is like a big retail park also on your route you can stop at Barstow or Baker, there small towns but handy if you want something to eat.

You will also pass Calico made famous by the gold rush years.

As people have said its about 4-5 hour drive but the last time i drove between LA and LV it took about 6.5 hours.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

"To compare the high desert you see from the I-15 to the Swiss Alps is hilarious and absolutely ridiculous."

They're both equally scenic to people who appreciate spectacular beauty.

I feel sorry for you if your perception capabilities are so limited.

Leicester
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

Thanks very much for all the info and help it is much appreciated!!

Not actually arriving till 2nd April but im one of those people who hates suprises on holidays and would like to have the majority of things planned and a back up just in case!!

Thanks

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive/Fly/Coach to LA from Vegas

Last Friday there was a huge crash on I-5 north that shut the interstate for days.

Last night another 15 car pile up in the high desert that killed four people.

This is why the drive to Vegas is frequently a nightmare. Extremely heavy traffic at high speeds.

I guess many of the drivers are also too busy looking at the spectacular high desert Alps whizzing by.