We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

B.A., OK
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

We will be in the L.A. area for a couple of days the first weekend in Nov. Dinner is planned for Friday, looking for something fun, moderate to upscale. Maybe live entertainment and great food! (Saturday) In the Hollywood area, or Sunset Strip...Whatever sounds the most fun or interesting.

Worth it? La Brea Tar Pits

Tour of the Stars Homes

Griffith Observatory

China Town

Knott's Berry Farm

Rodeo Drive

I am sure there is a lot I did not list. We are a group of four, 30ish to 40ish. Just want to relax and not be in a hurry...Thank you in advance for ANY direction.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

Knott's Berry Farm is a theme park almost an hour away. Not too exciting for adults. If you want to go to a theme park, go to Universal Studios which also has a studio tour. It's 10 mins from Hollywood. However, it will take most of your day, so if time is of essence and you don't want to rush, I wouldn't go to theme parks at all. There is lots to do!

Check out the FAQs here which list things to do. How many days do you have exactly? 2? Are they full days? Will you have a car (you should strongly consider renting one as it's necessary especially if you want to accomplish that much in so few days)? Where are you staying?

Tour of Star Home is basically a tour of hills and gates. You won't see that much. I would skip it. If you want a chance to see some stars, you should go walk around shopping and restaurant areas which they frequent (Melrose Ave shops including Fred Segal or shops on Robertson Blvd in West Hollywood). Our Chinatown is not as great as Chinatown in SF and NYC etc, so I wouldn't make that a priority on your short visit either.

In 2 days, you can do the following major spots (with a car):

Day 1:

Hollywood walk of fame, Griffith Park, Rodeo Dr, the Grove (for dinner)

The Getty, Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu for dinner

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Malibu
Malibu
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

sorry, the last line should say "day 2"

Also, I would strongly recommend to have dinner in Malibu. Otherwise, we'll need to know where you will be to recommend a restaurant for Saturday night. You can also see reviews at www.yelp.com. Just sort by top rated and narrow down by area.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
B.A., OK
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

Thank you, Smartcooki.

We will be staying at Hermosa Beach, arriving Friday afternnoon, leaving Sunday morning. So technically, we will have 1 1/2 days. We will have a car. Hubbies aren't too keen on shopping, but us chickies would like to "sneak" in a little. We don't want to be in a hurry, but have a great time. I had thought we should make reservations for dinner at least one of the nights. My husband thinks it won't be necessary. Just wants to fly by the seat of our pants, so to speak. I am okay with the spontanaity*, but I would like to have at least, a tentative plan. Don't want to spend most of our time driving, trying to figure out where to go, what to do, etc. (we've done this before, NO FUN!). So I appreciate the direction. I will look up your suggestions. I had spotted Boogaloo in Hermosa, and the Comedy and Magic Store? Any thoughts on these two places in that area, or anything else in that area? We also thought we would take a walk to Manhattan along the Strand. Your thoughts on that? So excited! Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

I would make reservations either at Gladstone's or Geoffrey's in Malibu for dinner. Some of the best seafood and these restaurants are right on the beach.

Hermosa Beach is about 45 mins away from most of the above attractions, especially those on Day 1. Manhattan beach is worth checking out as well. It's a bit tamer than Santa Monica. In your case, I would flip Day 1 and Day 1, and substitute Venice with Manhattan Beach, then go to Santa Monica to shop and walk the Promenade and head to Malibu for dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
B.A., OK
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

Thanks!!! Checking it out! Can't wait! WOO HOO!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

You will love Cafe Boogaloo in Hermosa when you arrive on the Friday night. It's the hottest place in the So Bay right now, for food and entertainment! The Comedy and Magic Club has great acts too, here is a list so you can see what they have when you are here in November. The husbands should enjoy, but reservations are advised there for weekends.

http://www.comedyandmagicclub.com/

A walk on the Strand to Manhattan is a nice idea. There are so many places downtown MB to eat and you would not need reservations there, either. Very relaxing pace.

Have a great time!

B.A., OK
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

Thank you, CAnative! Looking forward to our trip!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,303 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

Instead of Gladstones you might want to try Moonshadows in Malibu, less touristy and a killerview right on the ocean(oh yeah, food is good aswell)

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
9. Re: Great restaurant in L.A....or a list

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 08:20