We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental, los angeles

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Te Puke,BOP
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental, los angeles

We are planning our first trip to USA, landing in LA, hiring a car in hopes to drive out to Las Vegas, then Grand Canyon, can anyone recomend a hire company, also what is the drive like to Grand Canyon.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental, los angeles

Some may disagree but I would fly to Las Vegas from LAX (it takes about an hour at a cost of around $70 including taxes -- sometimes less depending on the month). Driving will take 5 or 6 hours (or more, if you arrive during "rush hour"). Go to southwest.com for cheap flights.

If you plan on spending some time in L.A. before going to Las Vegas, you can depart for Las Vegas from either LAX,or BUR (in Burbank, , north of Hollywood).

Go to travelocity.com, click on CARS, and then fill in the details of your car hire. You will be presented with a side-by-side comparison of a number of company's offerings. Keep in mind that this comparison does not include insurance which you will required to get (unless your home auto insurance policy or the credit card you are using includes car insurance for U.S. car hires).

To get an idea of the type of insurance you will need, go to YESCARHIRE.COM for a quote which will include insurance. Compare that quote with travelocity's offerings. (You will have to add in the cost of insurance that is offered by each car hire company. If you can't find the insurance costs on travelocity, you might need to go to the car hire companies' own websites to get this info). Note: Hertz, Avis and a number of other companies will include the insurance in their quotes (when you are on their website) if you indicate that your nation of habitation is not the U.S.).

Good luck1

Te Puke,BOP
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental, los angeles

Thanks for the speedy reply, I shall have a look at the websites you suggested.

Any idea on the trip to the Grand Canyon, in regards to distance from Las Vegas, etc.

Thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental, los angeles

You can use MAPQUEST.COM for distance (in miles) and estimated time (although the time offered does not factor in any traffic concerns).

Go to MAPQUEST.COM and near the bottom of the window, you'll see words in RED and words in GREEN. Scroll down to this area and put in your starting and ending locations.

You may enter this information in a number of formats:

1. If you know the entire address, put in the address below the words "address or intersection" and then put in the city followed by the 2-letter abbreviation for the state. State abreviations are:

CA - California AZ - Arizona NV - Nevada

2. You can omit the address and put in the city and state. This will give you a starting or ending point that is in the center of the city,

3, You can specify a LANDMARK like GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK but put that landmark name under "PLACE NAME" (above the spot where the address goes). With a LANDMARK, you may omit the address, city and state (although providing the state may make the search go quicker),

After entering this info, click "get directions" (below the ENDING LOCATION section) and mapquest will provide turn-by-turn directions, a map of the route (which you can move by clicking and dragging and which can be zoomed in on by clicking on the + sign).

Lastly, the distance in miles (1 mile = 1.6 Km) and APPROXIMATE time (always add a little or a lot depending on what day and time you are traveling).

If you follow these directions, you should come up with a time of about 4-1/2 hours between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon but keep in mind that:

a. There is traffic in and out of Vegas at times and in and out of the Canyon.

b. There are a number of entrances to the Grand Canyon (which is large!!) so decide where you are going to stay or visit at the canyon so you can judge the distance accurately.

Info about the canyon is at:

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental, los angeles

It's about 4-5 hours to Vegas without traffic and another 4-5 to the Grand Canyon from there.

Since you need a car in LA as well, you should just rent at one of the agencies at the airport. There are about a dozen. Just check a side like hotwire.com and pick what's cheapest by a reputable company. If you're not returning the car there, make sure they don't have a one-way drop-off charge. Also, always check the actual car rental company website to make sure the price is not cheaper there. And run a Google search for coupon codes for the company you select.

I also prefer to fly to Vegas because the traffic on the way can be bad. To avoid it as much as possible, don't do the drive on Friday or Sunday, and during rush hour on the other days when getting in and out of LA and Vegas, i.e. not 7-10am and 3-7pm.

You should stay in Vegas for at least 1 night if you haven't been there before.

Te Puke,BOP
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental, los angeles

Thanks for the reply, it is very useful especially as this is going to be our first visit to the US, so have no idea what to expect at all. I will look on the websites, glad you mentioned to avoid Sat & Sun as we were thinking Sunday would be a good travel out day. We land in LA on Thursday (3rd Jan) late evening so thought 3 nights around LA then off to LV on Sunday, but maybe 4 nights would be good?

Another question, How cold will it be in January?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental, los angeles

4 nights in LA is a good amount of time. I wouldn't do any less especially if you only get here on Thursday (you won't be able to do much that day). In Vegas itself, you don't need more than 2-3 nights. Anything more than 3 would be too much. 1 night in Grand Canyon should be fine if you leave Vegas in the morning, 2 nights if you really like it.

January will be in the 50s or 60s. It may rain. It's colder in the evening and it may rain. Check www.weatherbase.com for averages.

Devon, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental, los angeles

Hi

We are planning our first road trip to the USA in September for 3 weeks and I have just come across your posting on the forum from 2007 but wondered if you did ever do the drive from LA to LV, if so would you recommend it? We plan to also fly into LA and then drive to LV, and then over to California and down the coast back to LA. I am also just looking into car rental prices, can you suggest any company's after your trip.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental, los angeles

Most people in your position generally get an all-in rental from an agency outside the US. Your biggest ssue is that you will need US insurance which is very expensive when purchased at the counter (around 15/day just for colision damage + liability).

This comes up all the time on this forum and one of the places people from the UK use is http://www.yescarhire.com/. Also, make sure you verify whether there will be an additional charge for more than one driver (I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable renter but was hit with this in Las Vegas simply because it didn't occur to me to ask).

Also, keep checking as your trip approaches because I have seen huge differences in rental rates over time. I once made and cancelled 3 reservations with the same company as rates went down.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental, los angeles

I hope you realize that LA is in California.

As mentioned, get the car rental booked in the UK or online - somewhere where all insurance and taxes are included.

Devon, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental, los angeles

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Yes I do realise LA is in Calfornia, realised after I have typed it that I should have re-worded it! Had noticed today when searching about checking for additional drivers (some say payable on collection but I assume best to get cost included in total price on booking). Seems the best price is when pre-paying rather than on collection, stops you from cancelling and changing to another company i guess!

Thanks again.