We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beach to walk on at night?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
9 posts
Save Topic
Nice beach to walk on at night?

I will be staying Downtown LA during first week of December. Want some suggestions of any nice beaches that are suitable for a late night stroll. Something that will be somewhat secluded, or at least not crazy busy and still safe. Anyone got a beach in mind? thanks in advance

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

If you are staying in Downtown, you have a long drive to any beach. Will you have a car?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

Santa Monica is the closest beach (20-30 minutes by car; 50-60 minutes by bus)/ The beach. while plainly visible from the downtown area is still fairly secluded as most people do not walk on the beach in the winter in the evening, (They will be a few people, no doubt, but not many).

Keep in mind that Dec is cool, especially at night. Count on temps in the mid-50's with a small to medium-sized breeze. It will be cool -- dress warmly!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,961 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

I hope you have a car.

The only beach I would recommend strolling at night is the beach in Malibu. Santa Monica and Venice - I just wouldn't recommend it. It's not that it's unsafe, it's just not a great idea.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

Yogachik is right. Santa Monica and Venice beaches are 100% during the day, but can be very dicey at night.

C'mon down to Malibu. From Surfrider Beach you can stroll either east or west in virtually 100% safety...but it won't be exactly secluded.

Really, secluded = dangerous in this equation.

NY
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

thanks for the info...btw i do have car

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

If you want an interesting late night drive, here's the hot ticket:

Sunset to the beach. Turn right at Pacific Coast Highway and take it to the Malibu Pier/Surfrider Beach.

Afterwards, take PCH south to the California Incline. Turn right at Ocean at the top, then left onto Wilshire and take Wilshire all the way back to downtown.

Both are spectacular late night drives after the traffic dies down.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

Are you staying in Downtown for business or for sightseeing? If you don't have to stay there, it would be a lot more convenient to stay in more central Beverly Hills area or Santa Monica to explore LA.

NY
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

no getting out of staying in downtown. i am not there for business but hotel is booked and cannot be canceled..no turning back now.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

Manhattan Beach is a great place for strolling at night. SM, Hermosa, Redondo, Venice are all dicey. Probably ok, but if you're looking for safe--Manhattan Beach. or Malibu.

California
Level Contributor
463 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice beach to walk on at night?

Yeah, I thought of Manhattan Beach also. PCH is a busy highway and some thugs get through, but in MB... well, their cops are pretty good at spotting trouble when it enters town.