We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Hey there,

Thanks again for the advice I've received in previous posts. It has definitely made a difference in my planning.

We are looking to have dinner on the coast. I've heard mixed reviews about Geoffrey's, your thoughts?

Are there any other good restaurants on the PCH or in Santa Monica or Venice that you would rec?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Where you should eat depends on what you want. Are you all about food? Or about the view (which is quite different at night than in the day).

Here's a great resource for dining info:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/2

Chowhound is to restaurants what TA is to travel.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,044 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Not many restaurants with a view - but Geoffrey's is beautiful. The food is good, not great.

in SM: The Lobster has a view and good food, Catch at Casa del Mar is a restaurant I love, and has a great view, too. But nothing beats Geoffrey's view.

There's also Moonshadows in Malibu, Duke's, Charthouse. That's pretty much it, as far as view restaurants on the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Gladstone's is another popular option. I would pick Geoffrey's as #1for coast dining. What kind of food interests you? There are many great restaurants in all these areas. But most are not with a view as mentioned. The ones yogachick listed are your main options.

Idaho
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

We recently had a great lunch at One Pico at Shutters in SM. Food, setting, view, service were all first rate.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Also, you might want to check out Paradise Cove Beach Cafe for dining on the sand!

paradisecovemalibu.com/beachcafe/index.htm

Keep in mind that the view in the daytime from Malibu is always going to be better than at night.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Another place I really like for either breakfast or lunch is Back on the Beach in Santa Monica. It's one of the few that has tables right in the sand. The breakfast and lunch food is actually pretty good, and you can people-watch very easily as you're right next to the bike path there.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

I should add that this would definitely be a much cheaper laid back option, i.e. not like Geoffrey's.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,275 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

My vote would go to Moonshadows. It's hip, the views are incredible(especially on the patio) and there food is outstanding

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Moonshadows has been very unpopular on Chowhound as of late:

"Last experience at Moonshadows was little short of a combination horrow show/farce,"

"DO NOT EAT AT MOONSHADOWS. only for drinks and ambience."

Both of those are from October 2007.

Weybridge, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner on the Coast? Geoffrey's?

Thank you FromtheBu for the tip about chowhound. Did not know of the existence of this site.