We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Dirt Mulholland"?

California
Level Contributor
465 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
"Dirt Mulholland"?

Anybody here very familiar with this stretch? Specifically, I'm wondering how heavily trafficked it is late afternoon weekdays (are there TONS of mountain bikers, walkers and runners, or is it still a pleasant environment?) Likewise, any words of wisdom about parking at Mulholland and Encino Hills? Thanks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Dirt Mulholland"?

Awesome place to ride !! Weekdays should be ok. Obviously, weekends are another matter when it comes to crowds.

If I recall (it's been a couple years) go to the end of Reseda Blvd until you get the the Marvin Braude Mulholland Gateway Park. There is lots of parking available there. That area connects with the unopened Mulholland section.

Don't forget to see the old Nike Missle site which the military constructed in the 60's. It was designed to house a radar which purportedly was able to neutralize Soviet aircraft.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Dirt Mulholland"?

dnf, it wasn't the radar that was designed to neutralize the Soviet bombers...it was the (sometimes) nuclear-tipped Nike missiles that had the job, though the sophisticated (for its time) radar system did guide the missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nike

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Dirt Mulholland"?

yes, the Nike missles were placed there also to "neutralize" enemy planes. The old radar facility is the main part still visible for the curious.

By the way, that wikipedia site you noted is very interesting for those that want more info.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Dirt Mulholland"?

The last time I "flew" Mulholland Drive was a weekday afternoon about a year ago, and there weren't many cars, mountain bikers, walkers or runners, at all. When last I was up there at night, many, many years ago, it was difficult to find a pullout with a view that wasn't already taken, but the other vehicles encountered kept to themselves -- really. I know I'm dated, but don't know if this latter description is, as well.

California
Level Contributor
465 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Dirt Mulholland"?

Thanks for the info.

6. Re: "Dirt Mulholland"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:17