We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving form LA to Vegas

panchita07
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving form LA to Vegas

If I'm driving from Hollywood to Vegas the day beofre Thanksgiving, what is a reasonable time to levae Hollywood to be at the Vegas airport around 7:30?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

1pm

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

by the way, that's with ZERO stops. You'll have traffic but 6 1/2 hours should be fine

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

that's 7:30pm right? count on 5 hours without traffic. there may be traffic, so i would be safe and give at least 2 hours for traffic.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

The day before Las Vegas, there will be a lot of traffic. I agree with smartcooki, and give yourself at least 2 hours of traffic.

Leave at 11:30 just to be on the safe side.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

Everyone here has given you very bad advice. The day before Thanksgiving is the worst travel day of the year. Traffic will be the worst, especially at the end of a school day. The worst thing you could do is leave around 2 or 2:30.

I would leave LA at 11AM, to avoid traffic (or try to). You may get there at 4, you may get there at 5, or you may get there at 6, but it's better to be early, than miss the flight, which you'll do, if you only give yourself 5 hours.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

What was bad about our advice. I said to leave at 11:30. That gives them 8 hours on what would be a 4.5 hour drive with no traffic.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

p.s. I don't think they have a flight to catch in Vegas. Considering they are flying into LAX the day before, renting a car, spending one night in L.A. before driving to Vegas, I am guessing that they are spending time in Vegas, and not just driving there to catch a flight. Maybe they are picking someone up there?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

Sorry Fitz, somehow didn't see the 11:30 advice, just saw 6 hours and 5 hours and so on. 11:30, well, it's just a really bad day to drive anywhere.

I've done it for many years (Vegas, Mammoth), and finally am at the point where I won't drive the day before Thanksgiving ever again.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

Just so you know, you have picked the absolutely worst day to drive from LA to LV.

What time you leave depends on how important it is that you arrive by 7:30pm.

If you absolutely, positively must be there by 7:30pm, 11:30am is probably the latest you'll want to leave LA. You'll beat all the people who have to wait until after lunch to pull out.

But, really, the earlier the better. The later in the day it is, the worse the traffic is going to be. If you leave as late as 1pm, your arrival time is in serious jeopardy.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving form LA to Vegas

I haven't driven to Vegas in years. It is just too easy and too cheap to fly. And with gas prices the way they are, it would cost me at least $130 in gas. I can fly for cheaper than that. We have a home up in Big Bear, and when we drive the 210 out on Friday nights, or the day before a holiday weekend, the traffic is horrible. Takes us over an hour and a half just to get to the 15, and the traffic on the 210-15 ramp looks like it could take another 30 minutes just to get ONTO the 15. Not worth the headache anymore to drive to Vegas.