We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Hi,

My 2 friends and I are planning a trip to LA in May 08.

At the moment, one of us is working in Australia so I am trying to find out where we should go in LA as we can't all sit down and go through it together.

We are 27, looking to hire a car, and want nightlife, nice restaurants, shopping, going to the tourist attractions (universal studios etc). We want to stay in an area that is safe and our budget would be around $200 a room for the 3 of us.

I'm trying to go through all the previous forum answers but I'm still not sure what area we should stay as LA is obviously very large! Where would be a good 'base' for us - from that, I can look at hotels too.

Thanks for your help.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Look at the FAQs section at the top of the TOPIC LIST. Once there, look at the NEIGHBORHOODS topic.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Ok, looks like Hollywood or Santa Monica will appeal to us...

And regarding the nightclub guest list requirements, I hope we can get in touch with you closer to the time so you can see what clubs might welcome some fun Scots girls!! :)

I'll have a look at hotels in both areas that might suit, but if you have any recommendations, that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,456 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

With just $200 a night, you'll probably want an all-suite hotel. There are a few in both Hollywood and Santa Monica. May is a great time of year here, and you might have beach weather. Santa Monica could be great for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

I think West Hollywood on Sunset Strip would be a better option if you want a nicer neighborhood. Hollywood is fine and safe, but it's not upscale. Check out Best Western Sunset Plaza or Hyatt on Sunset. Lots of more upscale bars in that area. Hollywood is mostly clubs. They're all pretty similar. Plus, West Hollywood has lots of shopping and great cafes. Go out on Sunset Strip, go out in Hollywood one night, and do Santa Monica for one night. Main St in Santa Monica is best for going out and staying by the beach in May is not a bad idea. Most nice hotels are in the $250 range though. But Holiday Inn there is around $200.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Hollywood has plenty of upscale nightclubs, bars and restaurants (Ever heard of Parc, Memphis, Opera, The Roosevelt) While West Hollywood is excellent, for big time clubs you would always either drive(so no drinking) or take a taxi back and forth while if you stay in Hollywood, you could easily walk home at night

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

We're talking about the neighborhood, not the clubs.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

We are actually talking about 4 girls who want to come out, walk around from place to place and have fun in case you have not noticed yet

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

I think we've been over this. You can provide your opinion and I can provide mine. They can make their own decision based on their interests. Your definition of nightlife is not necessarily their definition of nightlife. I'm a girl and one night at pretentious clubs that all look the same, have the same type of people, and play top 40 music is enough for me.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Anyhow, personal attacks do not fly with me or this board. So let's just ignore your last comment as you do not know nothing about me or Hollywood Nightlfife. Not all the places are the same, ever been to Frolic Room? Scorpion Bar e.t.c.

For four girls coming out to L.A. to have some fun, the Sunset Strip would not be the place to be. Nothing to do with being biased

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,456 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scottish girls visiting LA for first time

Abel - personally, if I were visiting, I'd want to stay on Sunset Blvd. The hotels are fun, the bars along Sunset are fun, the restaurants nearby are great - sometimes you won't even need a car. Bar Marmont one night, Il Sole another, Sunset Tower bar another...

Hollywood is just minutes away. Another idea is if you can afford Hollywood Roosevelt, which is another fun place to stay.