We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in LA

alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants in LA

Hi!

my itinerary is almost complete. its just lacking restaurants and shopping malls.

we will be staying in downtown LA at the sheraton, from dec. 24th till dec. 31st.

just wondering what some of the best places to eat are.

on the 25th, i am thinking of making reservations at Ruth's Chris stake house, hopefully its not too late. what are some other suggestions for a good christmas day dinner? we are a family of 4.

also, what other places would be good to try out for the duration of our stay?

thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in LA

Are you looking for places near Downtown?? I'm assuming you'll have a car?? If you're looking for some good Chinese food, you're right near Chinatown and the restaurants there will be open on Christmas Day.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in LA

Will you have a car?

What kind of food? What budget?

I suggest posting on chowhound.com for ideas. But for Christmas dinner, you will want to go to a hotel, maybe the Omni downtown... Perhaps the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,903 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in LA

The Sheraton is literally above the 7th Street/Metro Center station for the red and blue line metro rail lines. These trains will take you to the following areas:

1. Hollywood -- 15 minutes on the red line westbound

2. Long Beach -- 55 minutes on the blue line southbound

3. Union Station / China Town -- 5 minutes on the red line eastbound

(From Union Station, you can transfer to the GOLD Line to Pasadena -- 15 to 25 minutes

In front of the hotel / metro rail station on 7th street, take the "E" DASH bus -- 25 cents -- eastbound to the "Fashion District" -- get off at Los Angeles St & Olympic Bl and walk 2 blocks east to Santee Alley -- the center of discount shopping in downtown L.A.

Tell us what kinds of food you like and what kinds of shopping you're interested in.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in LA

Restaurants?

Here's the TripAdvisor of food sites:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/2

The people on the Chowhound LA forum will hook you up!

alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in LA

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes sorry, we will have a car during our stay.

For foods we'de be ineterested in steak, ribs, sea food, ect. nothing formal, but not fast food like. somewhere in between would be perfect.

For shopping we would be interested in anything from formal wear, to athletic apparel. i am also looking for a professional camera store. and also, besides TeamLA at staples center, whats the best place to buy lakers merchandise?

Thanks again for the chowhound suggestion!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in LA

For a camera store, I'd go to Samy's Camera (as I have been for about 25 years):

www.samys.com/

For a wide variety of clothing, hit the Fashion District:

http://www.fashiondistrict.org/

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in LA

Try the Biltmore Hotel for Christmas dinner. You can walk there from your hotel. They have special meals offered for the occasion. It should be a fitting. I'd also point out there is a lovely little ice rink in Pershing Square across the street from the Biltmore. It is fun.

chowhound.com is the way to go for restaurant recommendations.

My two cents:

1) The Original Pantry @ 9th & Figueroa -- Classic American fare served up 24/7 for decades. You can walk here from your hotel. Tends to be very busy for breakfast on the weekends and during games at the Staples Center.

2) La Seranata de Garibaldi @ 1st & Bolye -- Arguably, the best Mexican restaurant in town. You'll have to drive here. Just take First east over the river and under the freeway. There is valet parking. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Seafood is a big part of the menu. 323-265-2887

3) The Water Grill @ 6th & Grand -- Excellent restaurant specializing in seafood. I believe they just won a major culinary award from Michellin (sic?). Pricey, but if you like that kind of thing, worth it.

4) Philippe's @ Alameda & Ord in Chinatown -- Another classic restaurant serving American fare with the emphasis on sandwiches. Sawdust on the floor tells you what kind of place this is.

5) Grand Central Market @ 3rd & Hill -- Latino marketplace. Good for lunch. I recommend the pupusas. The patio on Hill Street is nice.

6) KooKoo Roo @ 2nd & Grand -- If you're looking for something quick, this place is very good. I'm not big on the chain, but this place is doing something special. You can park in the building's parking and get validated.

I'd also point out there is a very nice grocery store on 9th just south of your hotel.

If you're looking for a good mall, head over to the Farmer's Market/The Grove @ Fairfax & Third. Just head east on Third from downtown. It is a straightshot. Park on the roof. Nice shopping and lots of very good food at the market.

Of course, since you're downtown, I assume you'll be going to the Fashion District. I think you'll be surprised at how large the district is.

You might want to check out the following sights in downtown since you're staying there -- Disney Hall, Cathedral, MOCA (Grand & Little Tokyo locations), Central Library, Olvera Street, Bradbury Building.

HTH

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in LA

As far as Lakers stuff, if you go to almost any shopping mall, there should be some kind of sports apparel store there. I can't give you a name of the store because they're all different. There's also a department store called JC Penney, which is located in most malls as well, and I was just there over the weekend and they have a fairly big selection of Lakers stuff. Some of the shoe stores like Footlocker, Foot Action, Champs will also have some Lakers stuff. They're located in most malls as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in LA

But if you're looking for the biggest and best selection of Lakers stuff, the store at the Staples Center is it. They're prices might not be the best though.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,636 posts
5,669 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in LA

You might like Tam O'Shanter.- This is a local restaurant with lots of history; good to go to for dinner\ Lawry's is quite good and the food here is good.

lawrysonline.com/tamoshanter_gen_info.asp122…

You can make for a delightful evening by having dinner here and then go to see the DWP holiday lights afterward. Its a real short drive (5 minutes to them. There may be a line of cars (since i ts that good). You can either drive through or walk it.

http://www.dwplightfestival.com/

(note: It will be for another day than Christmas day dinner...however).

They might already be sold out...and its a bit of a drive (but doable)

but Mission Inn in Redlands would be a wonderful place to have Christmas Brunch. This place really gets decked out for Chrstimas and the family will like to see all the wonderful Christmas decorations. There is also ice skating rink (California style), horse carriage rides, and other things to do to make for a festive Christmas Day. If interested, do call immediately to see if there is is still place. This is one of the top 10 for Christmas decoations in the US (we went in November ...and this year was even better than the last 2 years we visited.)

www.festivaloflightsca.com/holiday_menus.php