We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Looking for your suggestions:

1 Week w/Kids:

Universal ?

Disneyland?

Hollywood "Star" Tour?

Queen Mary?

See a show taping?

What else would you add / subtract?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Look at the FAQ for Things to Do in L.A. with Kids. It is really good. Then ask some more questions. Also, how old are the kids. Universal skews older. Disneyland skews younger.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

How old are your kids? And when are you coming.That will have an impact on what to do. Universal and Disneyland are typically on everyone's list. If you have done DisneyWorld, your kids might be a bit disappointed with "the original." And if you are coming in the near future, the Writer's Strike has pretty much shut down most of the TV show tapings

The Queen Mary is interesting but might be a bit of a snooze to younger kids. Universal is fun and you could easily give an entire day to that. Consider a day to go to Santa Monica and rent bicycles and ride the beach bike path down into Venice Beach or even into the Marina.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Depends on the age of the kids. Kids under 10 - I would skip Universal and hit Legoland in Carlsbad instead.

Again, with younger kids I would skip the star tour. You spend a lot of time looking at hedges and fences and the kids don't enjoy the trivia of it.

Queen Mary is fun for a half day. If you are in Long Beach - be sure to hit the Aquarium of the Pacific as well. They usually offer package tickets for the two attractions. The Aquarium is very nicely done for all ages.

Santa Monica is fun for all ages. Rent bikes and head north or south on the boardwalk - makes for a fun morning or afternoon.

Where are you staying - Los Angeles is very spread out. If you decide to do Disneyland - you may want to consider staying part of your trip in Anaheim or at one of the OC beaches (which will be a hit if you have older kids).

Show tapings are fun - but most have a minimum age requirement on them (usually somewhere in the teens or older)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,915 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Check out the family travel section for la at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-s401/Los-Angel…

Further recommendations really depends on the ages of your kids

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Thanks, LNJ. That's what I was referring to.

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Ages 10 & 12.5 then -

next Summer.

I think, regardless, we will do Universal -and DL -

but now you all have got us intrigued with Santa Monica biking -------

Would it be best to go north or south?

Would our kids enjoy Venice & which direction is that?

thanks so much for helping us plan our trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,915 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

10 & 12, those are my kid's ages, and we've been going to LA annually to visit family since their infancy.

Since you're from the south you may want to skip Disneyland and do Disneyworld at another time (DL is smaller)

Star tour is a waste on them, as will be most of Hollywood. You can do Hollywood in 90 min tops and the walk of fame & Grauman's theater will be full of the names of people they've never heard of. If for some reason my they like old movies (I mean from the 30s-70s) then Graumans & Hollywood will interest them, otherwise not.

Biking along the beach is great. I would pick up bikes in Venice beach. If yo go to that family travel section I gave you to the link of, search for "muscle beach" -- there is a bike rental right there. I'm not sure where else there is a bike rental, but there probably is by the Santa Monica pier. Great people watching in Venice and along SM pier.

If you think they might like astronomical things then go to the Griffith Observatory. If they like other scientific subject, go to the Cal Science Center & the Natural History Museum. Both are discussed in that link.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

The Chinese Theater shows current movies, so they dont have to be interested in 1930's movies to enjoy it. There is also the EL Capitan Theater right across the street that shows current Disney Movies and includes a pre show with Disney Characters. You could also take them to Mel's Diner around the corner for some food, before/after the movie.

Deffinatly go biking along the beach. I would start by the Santa Monica Pier only because it is right by the freeway and parking would be easier there than at Venice Beach

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Venice is south of Santa Monica. You can continue down to Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey or all the way down to Manhattan Beach if you want to. I just recently posted a list of all the bike rentals in Santa Monica if you want to search the SM forum.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hitting LA Area Hilights in 1 Week w/Kids?

Seriously. Click on the link that was provided above. There are a lot more things like Griffith Park, The Getty etc that you should do. They're all listed at that link. That's the most comprehensive answer you will get right there.