We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping help!???

Wichita, KS
4 posts
Save Topic
Shopping help!???

HI!

I am coming to LA in Jan. We are staying for 6 days and we are flying into LAX. The main reason we are coming is to see Ellen!! But we are also going to be doing alot of shopping. I would really love some help on where to do shopping in the LA area/Burbank!

Thanks for the help!

Wichita, KS
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping help!???

Also...I would love any ideas on what to do in while we are there. I am coming with my mom...we love shopping, celeb stuff, eating. We dont really have a budget but nothing to crazy! Any help would be great! Its just really hard to plan a trip when you are so far away/ never been there!

Thanks again!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping help!???

Please see our FAQs at the top of the LA Forums. Many of your questions are answered there (Where to Shop, Celeb Sightings, Where to stay).

LA is enormous, get a map, buy a tour book, become familiar with the area. There is shopping everywhere. Will you have a car?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,408 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping help!???

Have you booked your hotel yet? I wouldn't wait. If it's not too late, consider changing your arrival airport to Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (airport code: BUR). The airport is 1/10th the size of LAX and IN Burbank -- a lot closer to Ellen,

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,408 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping help!???

One more thing....

What KIND of shopping. Be specific!

Outlets, regular malls, boutique stores, etc.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping help!???

This is a shopping kinda town. We would need to know what you are looking for to buy to give you some better pointers on where to go

Wichita, KS
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping help!???

Yes, we are getting a rental. I would really love to do shopping that is not too too expensive. Maybe some malls, but really would love to go to unique stores. Thanks for all the help!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping help!???

LA is huge. Are you planning to do any sightseeing? If you only do a couple things, try to fit in seeing Hollywood (Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, etc), The Grove, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Pier/Promenade, and the Getty. That will give you a good sense of LA.

There are malls everywhere in this huge city. Santa Monica Mall and Promenade are good with a variety of stores (many chain stores), so you can do this "mall" type of shopping when you go there. There are also lots of places to eat in that area. I would recommend driving to Malibu afterwards for a dinner at one of the seafood restaurants along the beach (15 mins from Santa Monica) like Gladstone's, Moonshadow's, Duke's, Geoffrey's, etc.

There is a big mall in Burbank as well, but it's also lots of chain stores. Beverly Center is another, near Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, but at least it's famous.

For more "unique" and inexpensive shopping, spend a few hours on Melrose Ave between Fairfax and LaBrea when you're in the West Hollywood area (this is close to the Grove and LACMA).

For potential celeb sightings, walk Robertson Blvd between Melrose Ave and 3rd St (a few blocks from the Beverly Center), as well as on Melrose Ave between Fairfax and LaCienega. Both have lots of designer shops that they visit.

For restaurant recommendations, you need to plan around what area you will be in on each particular day as LA is very spread out. There are great restaurants in every area, and lots of various types of food. You should definitely have some good sushi since you're coming from the Midwest (I've been to Wichita and I know it's not easily available). If you like ethnic food, you can find anything in LA (Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Korean, Argentinian, Ethiopian, Moroccan, etc). See www.yelp.com for reviews of restaurants. You can also ask for specific recommendations in a particular neighborhood on www.chowhound.com.

California
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping help!???

Hey Whittney,

These are the must see malls in LA. They are quite expensive but it's also a very nice place to stroll.

West LA

1. Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive

2. The Grove Los Angeles

3. Santa Monica 3rd St. Promenade

4. Westfield Century City Shopping Center

Pasadena/Burbank

1. Old Town Pasadena

2. Burbank Town Center

3. Glendale Galleria

Orange County/New Port Beach

1. Fashion Island

2. The Market Place

BIG Expensive MALLS

1. Macys

2. Nordstrom

For less expensive store selling "signature" brands all over LA, find location near you:

1. ROSS

2. MARSHALS

3. TJ MAX

Average price stores:

1. Target

2. Walmart

3. K Mart

Just google them for exact address and get a rental with a navigator for step by step street directions. Navigator will make your going around easy.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping help!???

No one has mentioned the garment district near downtown Los Angeles. Anything and everything can be found here, and it is truly a Los Angeles Experience. Around 11th and Broadway, near downtown L.A., you will be surrounded by shop-lined streets and alleys. Wear comfortable shoes!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping help!???

I would add Loehmann's to the list above. If you like high end designer stuff at discount prices, that's the place to go. Also, DSW and Shoe Pavilion for shoes.