We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

Hi all,

I know this is a really long drive, but unfortunately our itinery requires us to to drive it in one go. Like I say, I know it will take all day, but exactly how long? Google Earth says about 10 hours, a poster on the GC forum said 12 hours, just wondering has anyone actually done it and how long did it take?

P.s. It will be August and we will be taking minimal breaks.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

Its about 10 hours. The fastest way is the 210 East to the 15 North to the 40 East to Williams, AZ and then the 64 North.

It is a very boring drive. If you had the time I would split it into two days and spend the first night in Jerome AZ or Sedona AZ.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

maps.google.com is accurate, if there is no traffic. mapquest gives you a time with traffic too. I would also take a break somewhere. You can stop in Vegas for example for a night.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

I would just get it over with in one day. There's not nuch interesting without a signifigant detour off your route.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

"It is a very boring drive."

RB, you were doing so well, and then you laid this egg.

ncmc, don't worry. As an Irishman in the desert, you will find the drive endless fascinating...unlike anything you will see in your homeland or Europe. Sad to say, many locals don't appreciate our spectacular desert or how much overseas visitors enjoy it.

10 hours is a good bet. SmartCooki's suggestion to spend the night in Las Vegas is silly, at best. That's far, far out of the way.

Really, the 10 hours will go by faster than you think. Let me give you a couple of great meal tips in Needles (a good stop for lunch and gas).

If you want to sit and be served, check out the Wagon Wheel Restaurant at 2420 Needles Highway, 760/326-4361. For non-chain fast food, you can get a great patty melt at Burger Hut, 701 W Broadway Street, (760) 326-2342. Either will give you a great American Southwest experience.

Sylmar Ca USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

Drive from LA to Kingman AZ and then to the GC from there, breaks it down into more convenient chunks and not driving all the time. You can detour off of I-40 onto old US66 and stop at Roy's Motel in Amboy (ya see it in lotsa commercials) and Oatman AZ.

If ya got time go to the Glass Skybridge on the Hualapai Indian Reservation-ya really get a feel for the wide open spaces, the road there has portions (14 miles) of dirt road but it is passable with a regular passenger car. BTW no pics on the bridge except what they will take of you they don't want cameras dropping on the glass. Kingman AZ to GC won't be bad you'll be there in a few hrs. If ya start early.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

It's not that far out of the way. It's about 4-5 hours from LA to Vegas and then about 5 hours to the Grand Canyon from there. It's the same amount of time, but with a stop in an interesting city.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

I stand corrected. Going to the Grand Canyon via Las Vegas only adds about 60 miles and an hour (depending on traffic, of course). Sorry about that, SmartCooki.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

most of the road is black asphalt and tempertures on the road will be well over 45C. you may find that your car might need more rest stops than you.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

A modern car will not be fazed by the heat.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: has anyone ever driven from LA to the Grand Canyon South Rim

Going the long way by I-10 and up through Prescott, Jerome and Sedona Arizona is worth the extra time, IMHO.

The mountain towns of Arizona are cooler than the desert and have spectacular scenery. The views from Jerome are outstanding. Jerome was an old mining ghost town but was taken over by artists and now has numerous art galleries and restaurants. It is not as tacky as Sedona which is full of t-shirt shops and new age phony spiritualism.

The Jerome Grand Hotel is located above the village of Jerome and is supposedly haunted. I stayed there and didn't see any ghosts tho.