We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Dublin
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Hi, I know that February is not really beach weather but it appears the weather is pretty nice at the moment. Should I pack a Bikini just in case?!

Also, I have read the FAQ etc but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of anything different to do during our stay. We are two girls in our late twenties staying in Santa Monica for a week. We will have a car. We like to go to places where locals bars/restaurants/shopping etc. Thank you!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Hopefully your bikini is small enough to just shove into a shoe in your luggage. Bring it and enjoy!

By the way, temperatures at the beach this weekend are forecast to be about 22 C (72 F). Gotta love Southern California in the winter!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

It's meant to be nice all weekend.

What do you consider different to do? Locals hang out at all the restaurants and bars in the area. We shop all over LA - but go to Montana Avenue, Main Street, Abbot Kinney, and drive Robertson, Sunset Plaza, Beverly Hills, etc.

At night, you'll have your choice of where to hang out, in Santa Monica. Hot spots are Chloe, Penthouse, Viceroy, The Del, Otheroom, Beachwood, Chaya Venice, Hidden, Brig... Or walk along Ocean Avenue or Main Street and take your pick.

Dublin
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Thanks for your replies. I'm not arriving until next weekend so hopefully the weather will stay good. 22c is pretty nice seeing as our summer doesn't get much hotter then that!!

Also, thanks for the tips on where to shop and hang out. I always prefer to get recommendations from local people as things change so quickly!

I'm really looking forward to the trip - we're staying in The Georgian Hotel which looks great.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Bring the bikini, just in case.

There are plenty of people at Zuma Beach at lunchtime today!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,958 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

By all means bring your bikini, never packed one myself but dont think it would take up that much space.lol

February can be hit and miss, the past weekend was miserable(rain/cold) This will it will be in the 70's, even 80's in the Valley. From what i get on tv, the long range outlook for the next couple of weeks will be try with Santa Ana wind conditions(which means dry, warm heat)

There are plenty of great bars/restaurants in the Santa Monica Area. Hollywood is the epicenter of nightlife, so if you want to hit up some "big" clubs, let me know aka message me on here

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Bring it, why not. It's small enough even if you don't get to use it (not likely in my opinion). Does your hotel have a heated pool? It's nice right now, t-shirt weather during the day and a light jacket weather at night, so not sunbathing weather really. Plus, it's somewhat windy by the beach, so it makes it a bit chillier.

In terms of things to do, read the FAQs here first. Then, check out www.yelp.com for recommended restaurants, bars, shops, etc in the area. You will probably want to cab to Main St to go out at night one night and to Abbot Kinney Blvd to go out another night. You can shop at boutiques on Main St and on Montana in Santa Monica and on Abbot Kinney in Venice nearby. Plenty of chain stores and a mall at the Promenade there.

I would also rent a bike or roller skates one day and take the bike path to Venice Beach. Definitely check out Venice Beach boardwalk, have lunch at one of the beachfront restaurants in Malibu, visit the Getty and have lunch there, shop at Melrose Ave boutiques in West Hollywood area, check out Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and drive around Sunset Blvd in Brentwood and Sunset Strip. Check out the usual tourist sites in Hollywood. Check out Downtown Olvera St, Disney Hall, etc.

If one of you is not going to drink, you can drive out to Sunset Strip and/or to Hollywood to go out there at night as well.

Dublin
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Thanks for all your replies! Just one last question. I was going to bring my garmin sat nav but I need to buy North America maps for it. They are pretty expensive here so I am thinking of buying them when I arrive. Is it possible to buy them at LAX? I thought it would be useful to have them driving from LAX to Santa Monica espcially after a 10 hour flight! Thanks..

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

I doubt that they're a deal at LAX. I know of a great map/travel store in the Burbank are, Geographica, but not in Santa Monica. I'm sure someone can help you with that. Or, you can rent a car with GPS, which might be cheaper than purchasing map software.

Regardless, you won't need it right away. The drive from LAX to Santa Monica is extremely simple.

You'll pick the car up on Sepulveda (or thereabouts) and head. Veer to the left at Lincoln, which will take you north, right through Marina Del Rey and Venice, then into the heart of Santa Monica .

Just check maps.google.com

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,958 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

Los Angeles is very simple to drive around. A Gps System would help and i dont think it would cost more than buy a software add on at the airport.

In general people are friendly, there are gasstations at almost every corner you could ask for directions but from Santa Monica there are only a couple of streets you would venture out from in the city like Santa Monica Blvd, Wilshire, the 10 fwy or Sunset so it would be really hard to get lost in the area as all of these streets criss cross the city all the way to downtown L.A.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it beach weather in LA at the moment?

I agree. Just get a car with a GPS system included. A car rental place will also have plenty of paper maps.