We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles / San Diego

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles / San Diego

Hello

I'm trying to squeeze in the sights of LA as well as a trip to San Diego SeaWorld into the last 4 days of my trip to California. I have a car but didn't fancy driving Santa Barbara - San Diego - LA on top of all the driving i'll have already done. Is it feasible to stay in somewhere like Huntington Beach as a base and get to San Diego and LA (Hollywood / Universal Studios) from there or am I better off doing a night's stopover in San Diego then back up ?

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
30,699 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
8,893 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
California
California
United States
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles / San Diego

Be aware that the traffic on the highway between L.A. and San Diego can get really bad and that there is a big chance that you will get stuck in the traffic. So I would not recommend going there and back on the same day. I would stay in San Diego for one night as it is a lovely city too. Go to Ocean Beach, La Jolla, the inner city center is nice too, do not forget Balboa Park.

Mentioned in this post
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,545 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles / San Diego

We live in Thousand Oaks and have gone to SeaWorld for the day. It is a very long day - but doable. We hit horrible traffic coming home as we left during rush hour (what was I thinking) but made it down there in under 2.5 hours. However - by not spending the night you really aren't seeing any of San Diego - just the park. If that is your plan - then it will work fine.

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
8,893 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Thousand Oaks
Thousand Oaks
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles / San Diego

If I had just done a long road trip, I don't think I'd drive down to SanDiego JUST for Sea World. There's more to the city than animal/theme parks and I guess I don't think visiting SeaWorld is an important reason to drive 2+hours each way.

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
8,893 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles / San Diego

San Diego is a huge spread out city with lots to see and do. I don't think it's worth driving out there just for the day either. You will easily spend 5 hours driving no matter where in LA you stay. And if you stay in Orange County as you suggested, you'll be commuting an hour or more in traffic to LA sites too. It's not a good idea if you want to avoid driving. 4 days is barely enough to see major things in LA. Leave San Diego for another trip when you have more time. Or skip LA and do just San Diego this time. Or do LA for 3 days and do an overnight to San Diego (still 5 hrs of driving at least).

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,072 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles / San Diego

You could easily take the Amtrak train that travels along the beach from Union Station/Downtown L.A. to San Diego. No traffic to worry about and a nice, relaxing ride

From San Diego you could take a taxi to Sea World or maybe ask at the San Diego forum if Sea World offers some sort of shuttle service from downtown sd to Seaworld(i would imagine so)

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
8,893 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,529 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
6. Re: Los Angeles / San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 08:16