We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions

Can anyone recommend restaurants: looking for fun, reasonably priced, good for family of 4 (with 2 teenage boys). In other words, nothing fancy or pretentious and I am interested in sit down, not take out (i.e. - Pinks). Have car so can go anywhere in LA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions

There are literally hundreds of great restaurants in LA. And LA is very spread out. This is like asking for the best restaurants in most of Thailand. Reasonably-priced is also subjective. To some, $30 a person is reasonable, and to others $15 is too expensive. Even if you have a car, you should really plan out your restaurant outings based on where you are on any particular day at any particular time. Since there are great restaurants in almost every neighborhood a tourist visits, there is really no point of driving across town for 45 mins for a restaurant.

So, the main questions are what you're going to be doing (i.e. what areas you will be in), what kind of food you prefer (there is every type of cuisine in LA from Moroccan to Japanese to Russian), and how much you want to spend per person after taxes and tip (usually an extra 28% or so).

Once you figure out your specific wants, you should also post this on the www.chowhound.com forum which is specifically for this. And you can look up best restaurants by reviews on sites like www.citysearch.com and www.yelp.com where you can narrow down by area, cost, and type of food.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions

Thank you and I know all this, but I am asking for different suggestions for restaurants - i.e. the names of places, regardless of type or location. Can anyone chime in with specific suggestions?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions

What kind of food? Where are you staying? What do you consider reasonably priced? What do you mean by fun? Do you mean a theme restaurant?

As noted above, we have literally hundreds, thousands, of restaurants.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions

Thanks for the quick reply, but this is rather a simple post request: The question is still - Can anyone recommend some restaurants that are reasonable proced, it doesn't matter what kind or where, just meet the criteria (reasonably priced, good for family of 4 (with 2 teenage boys), nothing fancy or pretentious and I am interested in sit down, not take out).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13,737 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions

Mel's Diner right by Hollywood/Highland would come to my mind. Great american comfort food in the middle of Hollywood. If you are planing on visiting Hollywood, including the Chinese Theater that would be a great option for a nice lunch

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
586 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant suggestions

Here are a few ideas:

Bucca di Beppo in Santa Monica: It's an Italian family-style restaurant with really good, inexpensive food. It's a lively, fun atmosphere and there is a lot to look at--vintage Italian pictures and posters on the walls. Also, it's one block away from the Third Street Promenade, which is fun to walk along for shopping, street entertainers, etc. It's also near the Santa Monica Pier which has amusement park-like rides and games.

C&O Trattoria in Venice: Another Italian restaurant. This one right near Venice Beach, which you also may want to visit. Very good, inexpensive food (including killer garlic rolls) and an outdoor patio with heaters that is designed to look like you're in a courtyard in some small Italian village. The fun thing about C&O is that during dinner the waiters all stop what they're doing and walk around singing "That's Amore" and toasting all the guests. Everyone joins in and sings.

Bubba Gump on the Santa Monica Pier may also be fun for you.

And lastly, the Stinking Rose on La Cienega in Los Angeles is fun, lively and great for visitors. They specialize in all kinds of food with garlic, and everything is very good. It's a fun, out of the ordinary place.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
586 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant suggestions

Antoher good one: Cafe Tu Tu Tango at the Universal City Walk. Like most of my other suggestions, this place is not only fun and lively, but it's located at a place where you would probably enjoy visiting with the kids.

www.cafetututango.com and

citywalkhollywood.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant suggestions

I agree with C&O Trattoria recommendation, but Bucca di Beppo? Are you interested in chain restaurants? You can have that in any US city, including those where there are no other options, which is where I suggest going to a chain place. LA has way too many great restaurants to go to national chains in my opinion. But up to you. If you do want to do that, Benihana would be fun.

The problem with your question is that I can recommend restaurants, but there is a good chance the majority of them won't be to your liking or you won't go out of your way to go to them because you didn't provide enough information in the first place. These are not hard questions to answer and you could save us a lot of wasted time by doing it. We're obviously willing to help.

World Cafe in Santa Monica

LA Conversation

Toast

Any outdoor restaurant at the Grove

Yankee Doodle on the Promenade

Hama Restaurant in Venice

Rose Cafe

Velvet Margarita

The Village Idiot

El Carmen

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant suggestions

I still don't know what you mean by reasonable.

There are many wonderful cafes along 3rd Street, along Melrose, along Beverly with great food (see Cooki's list, above).

It depends on the neighborhood. In Santa Monica, a family of 4 could eat at PF Changs at the Promenade, or something non-chain like Montana Cafe on Montana Ave. Or, Library Alehouse on Main Street is another idea. All would be about $20-$25/person.

Buddha's Belly in West Hollywood (and SM), Taylor's steakhouse close to downtown LA...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant suggestions

If you'd like to experience a fun, 1950s Coffee Shop, check out Pann's, near LAX. It's been at the same spot for 50 years. It was the location for several movies, including Pulp Fiction. It's famous for it's Blue Plate Specials, burgers and classic Malts and Shakes and many other items.

http://www.panns.com/index.htm