We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography: Gardens

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Photography: Gardens

Hi there,

This coming weekend, March 9th and 10th, I'd like to go to some place beautiful and photograph flowers. I've been to the Huntington and Descanso Gardens, but never to the LA Arboretum. Would any of you recommend it? Are the flowers in bloom yet? Would you recommend somewhere else instead?

Thanks!

Arielle

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography: Gardens

How far are you willing to travel to see some awesome gardens?

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography: Gardens

About an hour max. I don't want to spend too much money on gas.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography: Gardens

It's over an hour drive but the Carlsbad Flower Fields are amazing. http://www.theflowerfields.com/

In April - the poppies in Lancaster are wonderful. http://www.poppyfestival.com/

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography: Gardens

You may also want to consider visiting the Gardens Of The World here in Thousand Oaks, about an hour from you.

I really don't think any roses are blooming now but the setting and other plants and fountains are beautiful. They have a website at http://www.gardensoftheworld.info/

Also, you may want to check out the Getty Museum. They have a facility there.

Have fun!

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography: Gardens

I'm heading up to see the Poppies in late March, after they are in bloom.

The Gardens of the World look incredible! I may go there this weekend if they are blooming! I'll call in the morning :)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography: Gardens

I just re-read my last post and saw some of it was cut off. Regarding the Getty, I wanted to say that they have a very beautiful facility which includes some beautiful gardens and a very worthwhile museum. If you have never been there it's really a Southern Cal gem.

California
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography: Gardens

Ditto on both the Getty and the Carlsbad fields!

The Getty's gardens are small but wow do they get a lot in!

Haven't been to the Arboretum in Arcadia for a long time so couldn't comment on those-will be visiting Huntington this spring break.

If the urge should come theres always Anza Borrego- the desert wildflowers should be near ready- we would camp there first week in April and the flowers were blooming.

Okay I know its well outside the hour drive but just had to mention it ;).

oz

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography: Gardens

For future reference, the Exposition Park rose garden (which is closed until March 15) is quite nice and you can drop into the museums!

www.laparks.org/exporosegarden/rosegarden.htm

seeing-stars.com/Images/Slides/NaturalHistor…

eyespyla.com/www/thebuzz.nsf/expopark200.jpg

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photography: Gardens

I love the Getty, been there quite a few times. I've camped in Anza Borrego and loved that too. I'm heading out to Joshua Tree NP in mid March for some photography. I have been there a few times, but never in the Spring.

I have been to the Huntington a few times, but never to the LA Arboretum. I called the Gardens of the World and they are not in full bloom yet, as well as they are only 4.5acres (they said it will be a short visit). The place does look beautiful though.

I looked at Carlsbad, but the photos from 2/26 show only green fields, no flowers yet. I think I'll wait a few more weeks for that one.

I hope the Arboretum has some flowers. I love the weather right now, but it just may be too soon for flowers.

Any other ideas?

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Photography: Gardens

Rancho Santa Ana Botanical garden is in Claremont, probably about 45 minutes from Glendale (maybe less on weekend). Home to native California plants. Apparently the Wild California Lilac is in full bloom this weekend.